Can't connect to Airport Time Capsule from new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rogersmj, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rogersmj, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I bought a new iMac and am unable to connect to my Airport Time Capsule.

From my old iMac, which I have setup right next to the new one while I get stuff transferred over, I have no issues. I've got my file share mounted and Time Machine can back up.

On the new iMac, I see the AirPort Time Capsule in the sidebar and in Network, but when try to browse to it with Finder, it just spins for a bit and then says Connection Failed (I did put in my credentials).

Similarly, when I pull up the AirPort Utility on the new iMac, it just endlessly spins and won't display any of the three AirPort devices on my network. Loading AirPort Utility on the old iMac works fine, and it sees all my AirPorts.

Both machines are hardwired into my network; other network operations seem unaffected (for example, I'm connected to my shared home folder on the old iMac and am pulling files over selectively to the new iMac, via my network). It's only trying to connect to AirPort shares or devices on the new iMac that's a problem.

Additional datapoints:
    - Network for both iMacs is configured identically (except for IP addresses and NETBIOS names, obviously)
    - Both iMacs are on OS X 10.10.1
    - They are connected to the rest of the network through the same switch
    - The new iMac can access everything else on the network -- AFP and SMB shares, shared printer, AirPlay devices

I'm stumped -- any ideas?

2. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well there you go...the time honored tradition of power cycling the Time Capsule appears to have done the trick. Should have tried that first.