Can't connect to computers on my network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Delta2Nite, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Delta2Nite macrumors newbie

The problem is I cannot connect to my dad's iMac 24" from my 15" MBP. I don't understand why - I am able to connect to my little brother's MBP (pre-unibody) and my dad is able to connect to MY computer just fine.

The network we have is set up like this:
    Initial internet line -> modem -> Time Capsule 1TB -> (wireless) -> Airport Extreme Base Station (in my room) -> Ethernet ->My MBP

My dad is connected to the network wirelessly. My little brother is connected wirelessly. My AEBS is set up to increase the range of the network, and I just connect to it via Ethernet, but would go wireless if I wanted.

I've tried just using the Finder option (my dad's iMac and my brother's MBP both show up, as does the Time Capsule). This is how I connect to my brother's computer. When I try with my dad's iMac I can't. It always tells me the connection has failed. Why?

Any help is appreciated.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

While these may seem trivial, they are worth asking and checking if you haven't.

1. Is sharing enabled on the iMac?
    1a. If it is enabld, then are the files / folders you are trying to access set with permissions to let you at least "read" if not "read / write"?

2. Do you have an account on the iMac?
    2a. if no, then does your Dad's account have a password that keeps it from being accessed?

I want to say when I get the "Connection has failed" error it's because I haven't setup the sharing correctly, and while the system is visible on the netowrk, I don't have the sharing turned on, or the permissions are not set for the file / folders that I am trying to access.

Hope it helps,

Brian

3. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

All the computers on the network have the same sharing settings enabled:
    Screen Sharing, File Sharing and Printer Sharing.

Within the Screen Sharing the settings are set to allow any user to request access.

The only folder that has sharing properties is the public folder of each computer, but it's not really what I'm after. The thing I want is to be able to share the screen of my dad's iMac.

We both have passwords on our accounts, but when he shares my screen, he just signs in on my account, as I would for him if I were able. Likewise, that is what I do when I share my little brother's screen.

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

so you're saying you are using the admin name and password of your dad when trying to share his screen and its rejecting you? if that's the case its not an issue of sharing setup and definitely some sort of network issue

5. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not rejecting me. I'm never given the chance to connect.

Normally, in the Finder window, when you click "Connect As" a window pops up and prompts you for a username and password. When doing this to my little brother's MBP I'd put in his username and his password and be able to connect.
    The problem is that I'm never given this option when trying to connect to the iMac. It tries to connect and says the connection failed. From my understanding, even if I don't connect as a user, because the Public folder is just that, public, I should be able to see it regardless - as is the case when I'm disconnected from my little brother's computer.

6. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

thats definitely strange behavior... make sure you dont have a bad keychain saved that is attempting to be used... i know when i click the connect as or share screen button it automatically pulls the admin name and password for my other comp on the network from keychain... in keychain access look for your dads computer name and password kind should be network password... if you see that go ahead and remove it/them and then try all over again

7. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

Just searched through my keychain, and there isn't one for my dad's iMac. There was one for my little brother's MBP. I deleted it and went to connect to his MBP again just to test things out and everything worked smoothly.

Still cannot connect to my dad's iMac, but he can connect to me easily.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

is your brothers' Mac able to connect to your dads' iMac? if not, then his sharing properties have the wrong setting. That is the only thing i can think of?

9. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

No my brother's MBP cannot connect to my dad's iMac either.

How can the settings be wrong if all our computers have the same exact settings, yet the iMac can connect to both MBPs (mine and my brother's), yet the two MBPs can only connect to each other?

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

On your dads' computer, you will have to go into system preferences>sharing, and then click on the boxes that you want to share. Also, you can click on options and click on settings there as well. It has to be your dads' computer. If you BOTH cannot access his machine, but he can access both of yours', it is his sharing options.

11. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

His sharing options are the exact same options on our computers. The exact same thing. Nothing different.

I'm writing this post from my dad's iMac while sharing the screen of my MBP. At the same time trying to connect to my dad's iMac via Finder, and it isn't working.