Can't connect to "Free Public Wifi"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CTK2651, Dec 2, 2007.

1. CTK2651 macrumors member

I've had no problem connecting to a variety of hotspots around the Wash., DC area except for "Free Public Wifi" sites.

For example I was in a regional public library when my iPhone sniffed out and tried to connect to "Free Public Wifi". It never tells me it can not connect and in settings-wifi network-it will have a check mark by it and indicate I'm connected (no lock icon either) with excellent signal strength.

BUT I'm not. iPhone shows (and never changes) Edge icon and it not on wifi. If I go to safari, pages load by Edge and no indicator of wifi of any sort.

Any thoughts of what to try or do. I'm at a lost.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Try turning WiFi off, then on again. This has cleared up connection issues that I have ran across.

3. iDo macrumors newbie

Free Public Wifi SSID

is generated by a windows virus which spreads the virus upon connecting another windows machine to it

4. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I always figured it was something like that, I was always suspicious of those networks.

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

6. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

True but these ad-hoc networks can be run by individuals trying to capture data in transit... including any personal data you transmit, passwords, etc.

Do not trust a generic SSID, ever... and often do not trust known SSID's. There are the same kind of packet-sniffing operations in use that spoof the t-mobile SSID, and other well known Hotspot networks.

The only SSIDs you should trust 100% of the time are those of known specific LAN's that you have been directly granted access to by a LAN administrator, or your own LAN.

7. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

I also live in the DC area and my iPhone picks them up as well. I don't trust those networks. Period. They are everywhere: georgetown, the hill, northwest, and so on. I assume it is a packet-grabbing scam.

Note: On my macbook those networks show up as ad-hoc setups, further reason to not trust them.

8. CTK2651 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alll ...

learn something new everyday.

The first time I saw this 'pop up' was on a bus going home! It was there the whole 20+ min trip. For awhile I thought the local bus were providing free access...even though I did not try to connect.

9. dmmackay macrumors newbie

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

adhoc access points aren't something to just play with. Far too many are malware/virus trying to jump onto your system via shared hard drives, etc.

While your phone might be ok, just use your head and common sense when connecting to an access point you don't know of. You are the best line of defense.

11. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

This maybe sound dumb, but don't you have to try and get online once you are connect to the free wifi to accept the ToS?

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong