Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
So I can't connect my iPad to iCloud; it says the password is incorrect even though everything is set up correctly. Has Apple blocked older devices already?

Thanks for any input on this!

Reactions: ysh19988

drysdalk

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Hi,

Do you have two-factor-authentication or two-step-verification enabled on your Apple ID ? If you've turned these features on using another device running a version of iOS that supports them, then this might explain it, since the non-2FA-aware iOS 5 would not be able to successfully negotiate a login with iCloud.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hi,

Do you have two-factor-authentication or two-step-verification enabled on your Apple ID ? If you've turned these features on using another device running a version of iOS that supports them, then this might explain it, since the non-2FA-aware iOS 5 would not be able to successfully negotiate a login with iCloud.
That's not correct, older OS versions can still connect with two-factor enabled, and I have done so with an 11-year-old iMac running 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. But there is a special way you have to do it.

https://support.apple.com/HT204915
What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?
If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions, you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

richard kellar

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
So I can't connect my iPad to iCloud; it says the password is incorrect even though everything is set up correctly. Has Apple blocked older devices already?

Thanks for any input on this!
My 2010 ipad with OS5.1.1 works perfectly but Apple wont let it connect to Icloud Apple acknowledge my 2017 Ipad mini with IOS 11.3 - the new password I created allows access to "messages" on both devices but apple still will not accept log in from the old device to Icloud - even when "location services " is switched on as recommended in IOS 5.1.1 operating manual
Is this apple policy to nudge me to buy a new Ipad
Richard

drysdalk

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Hi,

In the months since first posting on this thread I've purchased a 1st. generation iPad running iOS 5.1.1 myself. I've been able to get it fully connected up to iCloud (including Find My iPad, my iCloud email and all the other bits you'd expect to work under iOS 5.x), as well as iMessage, Game Centre and so on and so forth. The trick is, as a previous poster on this thread rightly stated, to try to log in once. You'll get an error. At that point (assuming you have some kind of 2FA enabled) you'll get a 2FA prompt on your "main" iOS device, and you can then approve the login and you'll be given a six-digit code. You then append that six-digit code to your password and try to log in on the 1st. generation iPad again.

So, for example, the order of events might be:

1. Try to sign in to iCloud on the 1st. generation iPad with your password, which for the sake of argument we'll say is "letmein".
2. It won't work, and you'll then get a message indicating your sign in failed.
3. At the same time, on your main iOS device running iOS 9/10/11 with 2FA enabled on your account, you'll get the "Someone tried to sign in to your account" pop-up. Choose "Allow" as an option.
4. You're then given a six-digit code to use on the new device. For example here we'll say the code you're given is 123456.
5. On the 1st. generation iPad, try signing in again, only this time use the password "letmein123456".
6. Your 1st. generation iPad sould now sign in to the iCloud serivce you were trying to use.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 for every iCloud service you need to sign in to on the 1st. generation iPad.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, try creating an application-specific password in your Apple ID management page and using that instead. You'll probably have to create an application-specific password for each and every service you need to use though (i.e. iCloud itself, your e-mail, iMessage, Game Centre, etc), so hopefully the above method will work for you.

Reactions: MarcusUA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.