Can't connect to iMac with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Intel Inside, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Intel Inside, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I have a problem connecting to Mac "A" (Running OSX 10.5.8) from Mac "B" (Running OSX 10.6.7).

For example, when I'm using Mac "B" and I click on "xxx's Mac A" in the shared pane, in the sidebar in finder, it says that it has failed to connect.

But, here's the weird thing. When i'm on Mac "A", trying to connect to Mac "B", it does connect (file sharing/screen share)

Can someone help me connect to Mac "A" from Mac "B"

Btw, both of the computers are on the same network, and i've also tried connecting via Finder>Go>Connect to Server>"ip address"

Is it maybe a problem because i am using 2 different releases of OSX?

Thanks a lot :D

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Maybe if you detail better the mac with A and B it is easier to read the problem.

Anyway, have you checked on both A, B computers if the System Preferences/Sharing whether options needed for file sharing are activated?

3. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the fast reply, and yes the relevant sharing preferences are all set. (File sharing & Screen Sharing)

4. sydenham macrumors regular

This is probably a silly question but are you using the user name and password for Mac A (Imac) when you are connecting from Mac B? Maybe try Go, Connect to Server, Browse and when you see the Imac press Connect, then Connect As and enter the username (the name of the Imac such as johnsimac in one word lowercase) and password for the Imac.

5. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply :D not silly at all.

In finder, when i clock "connect as" it doesnt to anything!! but the real problem is that Mac B wont connect to Mac A at all. When i try to connect it comes up with a "Connection Failed" message, which says "This server may not exist or is unavailable at this time. Check the server name, or IP Address, check your network connection, then try again"

Tried all of those things, but it just wont connect :mad:

6. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok i've had a look at all the settings on both the computer's system settings. This means that it must be a network problem, or that OSX 10.5 & .6 arent playing too nicely together, any ideas?