Can't connect to internet through certain wireless networks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StephDC, Jun 6, 2009.

1. StephDC macrumors newbie

In my condo building we have wireless networks for each floor, but for some reason, while I can connect to it, with full signal strength, I can't get the internet to work. I've run diagnostics and it shows no problem with the internet connection, but when I try opening safari, no page will load, and eventually a message comes up that says as much, but without any guidance. My neighbor has the same macbook pro as I do with the same OS X 10.5.7. He's not having these problems. I went to a friend's house and am still able to connect to the internet through his wireless router. Any help on this?

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I had similar issues with wireless on my iMac. All my PCs worked fine, so did iPhone and iPod Touch, but the iMac would slow to a borderline comical crawl (1-5 kbps) or stop completely sometimes even though the connection icon showed full bars.

I use a D-Link DIR-855 which, like my previous DIR-655, is the most stable router I've ever come across. The DIR-655 ran for over a year, 24/7, without requiring power cycling. But I had to cripple its settings to keep the iMac connection stable. I disabled the "Enable Auto Channel Scan" option (which was on by default), which allowed me to set the wireless channel manually, and I set it to channel 11. After that the iMac's wifi has been stable.

3. StephDC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding but I have no idea what the whole channel thing is about. I tried searching for that in my Mac Help...but found nothing. I'm still at a loss. All the diagnostics say I'm connected to the wireless and nothing is wrong with the internet, but Safari is very much telling me otherwise. So frustrating not being able to use internet in my own home :(