Can't connect to Internet with tethered cell phone

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GeeeWhiz, Dec 29, 2009.

1. GeeeWhiz macrumors newbie

I am in India with a cell phone that has an unlimited data plan and legally allows tethering and has blue tooth. I am trying to connect to the Internet through the cell phone using blue tooth to my Macbook. I can "pair" with the cell phone but cannot connect. My new Macbook is running Snow Leopard

I can see the Nokia 7210 by clicking on the bluetooth icon upper right on the Mac. I can see the Macbook in the cellphone and click on connect in the cell phone.

Then the cell phone says "connecting to Macbook" followed by "service not supported by other device".

I have clicked on every combination I can find in blue tooth preferences on the Mac but can't get it to connect. Under blue tooth in the Mac it says paired but not connected.

Sometimes the Mac asks for a user name and pass code for the cell phone and it also asks for APN whatever that is. The owner of this cell phone tells me there isn't any username or passcode necessary and he has successfully connected through Windows notebooks without so using.

Advice needed.

David

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

3. GeeeWhiz thread starter macrumors newbie

What do I do in network preferences?

I can enter the cell phone number there. But it still asks for a user name and password.

It seems it is trying to set up dial up networking in network pref. This cell phone uses GPRS to set up a tethered connection. The cellphone has a data plan. I'm not sure I want to set up dial up networking in network pref.

David

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Most cell phones to tether require you to connect like a modem. For example sprint requires the phone to dial #777 from the computer.

5. GeeeWhiz thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told if asked for a number to key in 1234 but where? I can't find the place to key it in.

David

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Is the Bluetooth connection showing up in your Network preferences? If not, you probably need to add it as a network connection so the computer can see the IP/DNS/all that other networking data.

7. GeeeWhiz thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the bluetooth shows up in network preferences. I can see the phone in the macbook. it says paired "yes" conected "no"

I also see the macbook in the Nokia phone. I click on it and it says trying to connect then the message is "connection not supported by other device" . That means to me something not set up in the Macbook.

I don't know what to do. I have tried literally every combination of things in network and bluetooth prefs.

David