can't connect to mac pro with external IP address

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick_harambee, Oct 29, 2007.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

hi

i am looking to connect to my mac pro over the internet (i.e. not from my local network) for remotely accessing itunes and using remote desktop, share screen etc, but cannot connect with the external ip address.

I am wondering whether the fact that my ethernet connection to the router goes through an ethernet switch has anything to do with the problem.

i have logged in to the router and the WAN IP address that comes up on the router is the same as the address that i get on the Mac Pro, but there are three other addresses, namely primary and secondary DNS and GW IP Address that are different. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

I would be grateful for any help in setting this up.

thanks

nick

2. papplegate macrumors member

The other IPs you mention would not be a problem. Is your router forwarding the correct ports to your Mac? I am not sure of the ports without looking them up, but you need to make sure that the router is passing the packets to your Mac's IP address.

[​IMG]

The image shows that packets sent to My computer on port 5900 go to a computer with an IP address of .13

Make sense?

3. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. i am familiar with port forwarding. what ports do i need to forward for the back to my mac feature in leopard?

4. papplegate macrumors member

This was on Apple's .Mac support page, did you see it?

Attention Back To My Mac users
    In the coming weeks, we will be improving compatibility with home-based routers and various network environments. So if you find that you cannot access your remote Mac right away, please be patient as we work to improve the service.
    For instructions and troubleshooting information for Back to My Mac, click here. For more FAQs about Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Support contact information, click here.

The router page does not mention port numbers needed, and I do not know which ones it uses. Sorry.