Cant connect to mac remotely

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JirkaLe, Oct 31, 2015.

1. JirkaLe macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I want to connect to Mac (el capitan), remotely from ipad (ios 8) and stream movies.
    I am using Remote file manager on ipad and did set up port forwarding on router (445, even ftp 25,21..)
    There isnt any problem when streaming in same network
    There isnt any problem when streaming from anywhere through LTE,3G
    But for some reason when I am connected to any wifi (tried 4 different) I cannot connect to my mac which is home (port 445,25.. any). I still can ping those ports but cant connect from ipad (socket timeout)

Does anybody know why it is not working?

Thank you, Jiri

2. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Same network works because its a flat network. Stuff will always work there (usually) as all devices are in the same house as it were.

LTE/3g works as you pay for it and they tend to not restrict. You want to burn your hours and maybe go over, they won't stop you.

By 4 other wifi's I am assuming externals ones (coffee shops, malls, etc). They may be blocking that traffic. Ping only shows connectivity. Not sure of the mac os/linux equivalent (or if the same) but tools like port query on windows will show you more. Like a status of filtered. Ie. a firewall is stopping the flow. I can ping a server with a filtered port all day long. its portqry that tells me something is kicking back requests to it.

Public wifi's can restrict things. Your ports may be good on your end, they have final say if they block them as the middle man

Port 445 is historically liked port for attacks that is probably firewalled. they are under no obligation to provide SMB services for random users. Port not needed is best killed off. Security 101.

Port 25 is SMTP....this is usually killed outright not on business networks (or is very controlled by access control lists so only my say exchange servers can use this port internally). You don't want your external network being used by mail spammers.

Port 21 is ftp and this bad boy is damn near a commandment to shut down with extreme prejudice. Its notoriously unsecure and usually not needed on a external public wifi. You should also kill this on your home network and use SFTP (secure FTP) is you really need FTP capability.