can't connect to my Airport Base Station from certain machines

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by arcsbite, Jul 25, 2007.

1. arcsbite Guest

For some odd reason my airport extreme base station (new version) isn't appearing on any new machines.
    it's saved to my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro and connects automatically

but when searching from any other machine, the network just doesn't appear, when I add it manually it says it cannot be found

:confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of security settings do you have on it? What sort of machines aren't connecting? :)

3. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I can't connect a PC (XP home) or my Dell Axim X30
    I'm using a WEP, tried a WPA/WPA2 WEP and also with no security at all, for some reason they're just not picking up the network....but they pick up the one next door!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well strip all the network security settings for a start. It'll get rid of a lot of the variables. With no security settings, is the network even visible to the PCs? I know you said you'd tried stripping the security settings, but just double check to see if the network is even visible. Also, have you tried unplugging the AirPort from the wall for a few minutes before plugging it back in and reconnecting? Have you tried broadcasting on a different channel? :)

5. arcsbite thread starter Guest

still nothing, it's as if it's not broadcasting...only...it is because I'm using the network on my mac

so confusing

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It may still be hiding its SSID though... Is Create A Closed Network ticked? I don't have a new Extreme but I have an old Express so I'm basing this off that version of the AirPort Admin Utility. I imagine it's still slightly similar to the newer app though. The Closed Network option is on the AirPort tab. :)

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

uumm are all of the computers that dont connect windoze computers??? you would need to go to "airport admin" then to the menu that contains "Network equivilant".. i cant remember the exact name... but its definately "network equivilant". that will giv eyou the hex code that you can put into windoze. i had the same problem