Can't connect to my house's internet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HomeingPigeon, Apr 13, 2008.

1. HomeingPigeon macrumors regular

My macbook pro will connect fine. When I try to connect my touch all it does is try to connect and then it says that it can't connect. Anyone else have this problem? What else can I try? I just got my touch today.

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

what kind of wireless is it?
    (a/b/g/n)
    is it password protected? VPN?

3. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

It has a password. I think that it is a wep or wap. I want to saw wap though.

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

okay, does it give you an error, such as server not found? That is a firewall issue.

Or is it conection failed? Is the pass in correctly?

5. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

6. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

7. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

Now I got the ipod to say that it is connected to the internet. Then it says that it can't find the server though?

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It would be very helpful if you could give us some specifics like what kind of router you're using and what kind of security you have.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes it would.

To the OP, MAC filtering perhaps?

10. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

It is a verizon broadband internet. The router is a Westell VersaLink 327W. It is WPA security. What is the OP and Mac Filtering?

11. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

I do believe it is a firewall issue, try taking it down, and see if your iPod works.

12. patp Guest

When I had my security set to Wpa it would'nt work. When I switched It to WEP it worked.

In wep mode when it asks for password enter the wep encryption code - not the router password.

Works like a charm now. I can surf the web at decent speeds. I belieive I heard someone at the Apple store say that the touch would work w/ wep only.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I use my touch on WPA2 and it works fine...

14. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

When I was at in school today I was surfing the net fine. That network fine. I am beginning to wonder what is wrong with straight WPA and the touch/iphone. WPA2 is a pretty different thing crazzyeddie.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

OP --> Original Poster

MAC Filtering --> Media Access Control (MAC) filtering. Not to be confused with a Macintosh (Mac). Each network device has it's own MAC address. MAC filtering allows you to set you router so only devices that you enter the MAC address for, will be allowed to connect. Actually, you can do the reverse as well, don't allow devices with certain MAC addresses to connect. MAC filtering can be circumvented, but it is a form of protection.

16. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

This happened with me sometimes to. Try resetting your router, and if that does not work change the settings on the iPod from DHCP to "Static". Get the information you need from your router and you should be good to go. From time to time I get errors still and I find that by just changing the IP address from 192.168.0.XX to 192.168.0.YY, it works fine again. :rolleyes:.