Can't connect to network! :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yurtra, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Yurtra macrumors member

Alright, I have a bit of a problem...

I have a wireless network set up, and it was a WEP password. Pretty standard stuff.

I'm using a Netgear router, an older one, I can reply with model details if it's important.

For some reason, despite the fact that my Mac CAN see the network (and I have used internet sharing with my Mac, so I'm pretty sure the wireless card is working) I am unable to join it.

I try to join it, I type in the correct password, (and have tried using every form of WEP security) but to no avail. My 24" iMac says it cannot join the network... :(

Anyways, I was just hoping you guys would have some suggestions...I've been thinking about a new router, but it would be nice to have this one work properly for the time being. (Plus I don't see why it ISN'T working.)

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Hmm, I used to have this problem with my Original APBS... If I set a WEP, the windows computers with Belkin cards could not access the wireless even though the correct password was typed.

Older hardware I believe was still with the Mac compatability issues... see if theres a firmware update...

If possible, just disable your WEP and see if theres a fix online

3. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Does it offer WPA? Try using that? Can you get online if there is no WEP?

4. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

I've tried disabling WEP and for some reason I still can't access the internet.

The iMac lists itself as connected to the network, but it's not getting any 'net access.

And there isn't any WPA option, either. I'm not 100% sure about the firmware thing either, but I'll look into it.

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

But... All the other computers are connected to the net via wireless? Hmm, well you could try restarting the router/Mac and see if it works. If not try resetting the router and set it up again?

6. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

7. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

@Yurtra,

This may or may not be relevant. I had a torrid time getting my computer to connect when it had already done so in the past. I would go Go>Network>Connect and it would be fine then the next day it would bring up no dialog box, in which case I would then use Go>Connect to Server> and type in the address (10.0.0.x).

But the unpredictability of it annoyed me. After a few hours testing I discovered that sometimes I needed to log out and log in after mounting a volume or doing some other change. Sometimes the other computer needed to be logged out and in again. I also found that it mattered if I was or the other computer was being used as an admin, that affected which volumes I could see.

So I would suggest just to test things. Make sure you are an admin and after setting it and making sure all your volumes are mounted, log out and in again and do so for the other computer too, and see if that works.

8. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

IIRC the chips being used in the macs are not the one's supplied by intel. Thus we don't/can't/won't use the centrino brand name. The chips in current macs are based off the Atheros chip which has draft-N specifications. There should be no reason why this is happening.

Just to check. Everything else is running perfectly am I correct? As in all other computers can join the network and access the internet? When your mac is connected to the network, are you able to see your other PC's that are hooked up? And have you tried just plugging your mac into the ethernet jack to see if it can access the internet that way?

9. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

Ethernet works perfectly...

The thing is, this was the only computer trying to access the wireless for a period of time, and even then it didn't work (so I booted up the PC).

I'll try the other thing, but there isn't any computer hooked up through the ethernet ports to my router, it's just a cable modem with a router hooked up at the moment, so there really isn't anything to log out of... (plus it's really annoying to have to move the router around to change settings! >.<)

Uhh, it's not a big deal if it never works, as I'll be moving the Mac back to it's ethernet connection within a few days, it's just that I'd like for it to work, as it's bugging me. :p

Another quick question...
    I have a few live DVDs that I'd like to rip the audio from, I currently have Handbrake for ripping DVDs, but I don't see an audio only option.

Is there any way I can just rip the audio from the DVDs? Preferably through Handbrake, but any reliable software suggestions to do this are fine, I just want a way to do it! :D

10. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Bummer, then I would definitely check to see if wifi is working. Not sure as I don't have any DVD-Audio's lol. You could try ripping them using handbrake first and then extracting the audio somehow I guess.

11. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

How would I check?

I've already used wireless internet sharing, so I'm assuming it's working...

12. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Get any other wifi device and try surfing the net with those. If it still doesn't work. I'm really stumped lol.

13. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm pretty sure it's working as I was able to create a printer/file sharing network between my PC and the Mac.

I JUST CAN'T CONNECT TO THE DAMN NETWORK FOR INTERNET ACCESS. >.<

14. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

Okay, later today I'm going to update the firmware and I'm going to try using a different password, as I've been reading about how WEP is an older standard that doesn't always work...

What are the chances that my ISP doesn't support AirPort? Is it basically zero if the ethernet works perfectly?

15. Avaritia macrumors newbie

When trying to join the wireless network, are you using a Passphrase, or the WEP Key? If you are using the latter, try putting a dollar sign at the beginning of the password and try to connect. If you are using a passphrase, then I would suggest calling your ISP and have them assist you in getting the WEP key.

In my experience, the WEP Passphrase rarely works. Airport Cards seem to despise and not get along with WEP, especially WEP64, so I'd suggest sticking with 40/128 as well.

16. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the WEP number, not the passphrase...

And it IS 128-bit...

>.<

17. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and is it normal that my network folder should be empty? :confused:

18. Avaritia macrumors newbie

So, have you tried entering the WEP key with and without the $ sign at the beginning of the password?

If you are talking about the one that shows up in your finder, yes. Networks will only show up when you are connected to one, if you aren't nothing is going to be in there.

Network settings are saved in the /library/preferences/systemconfiguration folder.

You could also request a more up to date router from your ISP that does support WPA, infact I would suggest it. WEP is very insecure, it only takes a few minutes if that to hack your signal and be able to use it.

19. Yurtra thread starter macrumors member

Well, entering the WEB key as a hex one doesn't allow me to insert the $ symbol...

I AM thinking of a new router, however.

20. Avaritia macrumors newbie

Truly, I think that's the best thing. I've helped plenty of people with Netgear routers, and WEP only works a quarter of the time. Switching to WPA tends to be the cure all for third party routers.