Can't connect to other mac's with my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicks85, Oct 9, 2008.

1. nicks85 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have a macbook, macbook pro and imac at home.
    all 3 are running leopard
    I have no trouble with the macbook pro and imac but the macbook cannot connect to the other computers
    now and then it automatically finds the macbook pro but the imac never pops up
    all 3 computers have file sharing on and the imac has printer sharing on. sometimes at school the macbook finds all these other laptops connected to the network and sometimes it finds none. how do i make it consistently find the other computers on the network and find the imac at all.
    thanks

2. nicks85 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Dj23 macrumors newbie

Alright, I know how you can connect your Macs however you will have to do it everytime you turn them on, which is a pain.
    Using Go>Connect As...

You need to know the IP address. I assume you know how to find it?
    System Preferences>Network>Airport>Advanced>TCP/IP

In Finder>Go>Connect As... and type in "smb://192.xxx.x.x"
    Then should ask about what type of user, enter the Username and Pass for the Mac you are trying to connect to.
    There you go, should connect.

Dan

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have found that a Mac that is in sleep mode will not show up on the network. I was trying to access an iMac 24" from an iBook G4, and saw nothing. As soon as I woke up the iMac, it popped right up. I'm not sure why, but it is consistent. Once you get the connection it seems to stay there.