"Can't connect to server" message, while roaming.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sandy mc intosh, May 27, 2008.

1. sandy mc intosh macrumors newbie

I have a 32gb itouch which works great on my home wi-fi network... but if I'm out and about, i can connect to an "open" network ok....and my mail will usually update.... but when i try to open safari, youtube, itunes store etc.... i keep getting a "safari cannot find server" or "cannot connect to server" message.... anybody got any ideas ? ..it is frustrating me.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well I cant comment on where you are but here in the UK one of our phone providers offer wifi and show up as an open network but what you have to do to access the internet is buy a voucher before you do anything so maybe its something similar?

I find if I try to access a website I will be automatically sent to a website to signup or in some cases with free wifi areas I simply just have to click a link to store a cookie to access stuff.

Hope I have been of some use

3. sandy mc intosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Cn't cnct to server...

Thanks for your response Andy..... I'm in u.k and have BT deal, also signed up for BT FON ..... it doesn't matter what wifi network i manage to patch in to... individuals network or business.... mail updates, sometimes.... once I'm in... but can't surf for some reason... I don't seem to get any links to click on, that you get.. thanks though.

4. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

its not your ipod touch, its their wifi network. they never connected an internet connection to the wifi. wifi doesnt require/come with an internet connection

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

AAAHH yeh BT doesn't work well with the touch, I bought an hours openzone voucher once and well yeh what an experience trying to use installer and mail. only thing I could do really was use web browser

6. sandy mc intosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Macfanboy .... understand what you're saying..... just because I can patch in, doesn't mean they have their wifi set up to browse ! .... cheers.

7. sandy mc intosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Andy...... found I can use Bt openzone (btfon) to find and patch in to open networks o.k. but if there isn't one nearby you at the time.... it doesn't help.. and if their is one.... it's never near as fast as my wifi network at home.... thanks again.