Can't connect to skype messenger? please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JackSpearo, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JackSpearo macrumors regular

I'm trying to connect to skype messenger to call my fiance in Europe (just bought the unlimited minutes to landlines for $6.99 whoohooo!)

but I can't connect with my macbookpro???

I have 2.2 Ghz macbook pro...

please help :-(???

thanks!

Jack

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

It's really not easy to provide any help without more details about the trouble you're having.

It may be beneficial to your cause to provide a further description. I think you'll find more people willing to help that way. :)

3. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

oh sorry!

I deleted skype from my computer just now, and I reinstalled it.

I then put my username and password in, and the big skype gray logo with the spinning clockwise arrows, just spin around; as does the little grey circular spinning thing next to the cancel button on the bottom of that messenger...

that's pretty much it... if there is anything else I can be more specific about, please let me know... I really wanna call her :-(...

thanks so much for helping me, I honestly really appreciate it...

4. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Okay, so maybe this will sound like a dumb question, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but is it safe to assume that you have a healthy internet connection?

If so, I suppose something I might try is to temporarily turn off your computer's firewall completely and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I hope someone else on the forum might have some ideas to offer, because I'm as puzzled as you are.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

5. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

I'm one of the guys who believes there is no such thing as a stupid question!

sometimes the answer or solution can be right under your nose!

I just bought an airport extreme and the connection is very strong...

my firewall is off ...

I have no idea why it's not working, so depressing though :-(...

thanks again for the help...

6. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

If you go to skype.com, are you able to sign in with your username and password without any trouble?

If so, I think you can get some functionality through your browser. If not, perhaps there is some problem with your skype account. Maybe try creating a new account.

7. Omad0n macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but also wanted to point out this is happening to my wife and I as well. We just recently bought a new iMac (21.5"-3.2ghz) and it is giving us trouble too. The really screwy thing is that skype works fine on our mac laptops with either of our accounts, but the desktop won't give a connect message.

Instead it just says "Can't connect to Skype." "Please check your network settings and try again."

No firewall is on, software is all up to date.

Even more bizzare though, I was SUCCESSFUL in getting it to connect from the iMac last night. However, I have been unable to recreate that success.

8. cmclaughlan macrumors member

When I last did a user copy I noticed the same thing and this is how I fixed it:

Go into preferences and reset the port that is used. (I added 1 to the current value). Save preferences and relaunch.

Colin