Cant connect to specific websites?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ravich, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

It has been this way ever since I reset the modem a few weeks ago. I cannot connect to certain websites that I know are not down. If I am able to connect briefly to a neighbor's wireless, the websites work fine. I just reset the modem a few minutes ago and the problem hasnt gone away.

Anyone have any fixes? I've tried troubleshooting on google but all I get are PC solutions.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sounds like a DNS issue? DNS is like a phone-book for the internet, if you didn't know. It is what translates a .biz, .com address into the IP for the site. You can add OpenDNS to your router or to your Mac's Network preferences. How you add it to the router varies so I won't touch on that, but I can tell you how to add it to the Mac. In Network preferences, part of System Preferences, choose your connection type (Ethernet, or AirPort typically) on the left, click on Advanced, and from the DNS tab, add the two numbers found in the lower right corner of the OpenDNS homepage. Also check if the number(s) already displayed in that window (in light gray) with your ISP and make sure your computer is getting the correct DNS settings from the modem/router.

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I followed your instructions until the part I quoted below. What do you mean by Check if the numbers already displayed in the window with my ISP? How do I make sure my computer is getting the correct DNS settings from the modem/router?

Thanks!

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sorry for the delayed response, work :)

So in the window that is brought up by selecting AirPort and then Advanced, click to the DNS tab. There are two parts of the window, one labeled DNS Servers, the other labeled Search Domains. Under DNS Servers there will be one or two IP addresses, in gray. Call up whomever your ISP is and ask them if the numbers there are the ones that everyone under their service should have or if they should be different. I would check if you have the correct numbers, before you add in the OpenDNS ones from the site I gave you the URL for.