Can't connect to the internet during specific times.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lucascoro, Jul 24, 2009.

1. lucascoro macrumors newbie

I can't connect to the internet from 8 pm to 8 am because my parens are turning my internet off. No i'm not a little kid or anything, besides nobody would give a little kid a laptop.
    i have an v10.5.7 2 Ghz intel core 2 duo macbook.
    I don't know how my parents are automatically turning off the internet at exactly 8 pm then turning it on at 8 am. And it is just my laptop because my brother can connect to the same network after 8. How is she doing this and is there a way to connect?
    also, if i restore my laptop to factory settings, would it change the IP address?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

Now now, lying is bad, and bad kids don't get presents from Santa.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It is obvious that you don't listen to your parents or they would not have taken you access away. As far as them giving you a Laptop has nothing to do with your age. They just love you. You didn't say your age either so that is a good indication of what your are trying to hide...

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Another thing. I would guess you should of been in bed when you sent this message. See the time it was posted :rolleyes: Another sign of doing things behind your parents back...

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If your parents are very tech savy they can filter the internet for certain computers at certain times of the day using all sorts of software. The wireless router in your house might even be able to it!

Your living in your parents house, respect their rules and the rules will slowly get relaxed. (That is what happened in my house anyway when I was younger).

Now Im at Uni I can do whatever I want, my mistakes are mine!!!

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They are probably doing it through the router. You could spoof your way around it, but when they find out you will probably lose all internet access for a while.

Just follow your parents' rules.

7. lucascoro thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm 16.. and nobody goes to bed at 8 pm..

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

No but your post was 1:35 A.M. Long ways away from 8:00 P.M. isn't it...

9. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Using the Router

You parents have probably set times in the router that prevent you from connecting during those times. Talk to them if you want to change the times.

Also, restoring your computer will not work, as it has the same MAC Address (hardware ID of the network interface). If you are using wireless, plugging into the network will get a different IP address because it is on a different physical connection. A USB wireless connector may also work, but if your parents are savvy enough to lock down your connection, they will probably figure it out if you start using a USB Wi-Fi adapter.