Can't connect to the internet using my new imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silverboadicea, May 3, 2011.

1. silverboadicea macrumors newbie

I just bought my first imac and I can't connect to the internet. I am trying to connect as wireless, and it sees the network I want but I can't figure out what the diagnostics thing wants me to type in. Should I be using airport or other? I have all of the information for my internet service provider, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Help?

2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

there are a ton of variables that would need to be answered in order to resolve this issue. Are you using a cable modem to connect, or dsl, PPPOE, etc? Is your network security enabled (WEP, WPA, etc)? You should be using airport if you are connecting via WiFi. Is there MAC address filtering on the router?

3. silverboadicea thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I finally figured it out, sorry. I am not computer savvy, so those things that would have made my plea for help easier to understand were things I didn't know existed so I could ask about them.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual will help you to become a Mac semi good knowledge user. The book is very informative, funny and a great resource.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes, without doubt the best if you want to know all about OS X. The author also wrote a similar one for the iPhone.