Can't connect to the internet using Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by weich1213, Nov 23, 2008.

1. weich1213 macrumors newbie

I just loaded Windows Vista onto my mac using boot camp, but I can't connect to the internet using Windows, just the mac hd. Anyone know what I need to do?:confused:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have specific network/security settings in order to get online?

3. weich1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't even know what that is

I don't even know what that is

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How do you connect to the internet on the Mac side? Wireless? Ethernet?

5. weich1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

I connect on the mac side with ethernet but when I try to connect on the windows side it says it can't make a connection

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Does it says Network Cable Unplugged or Limited Connectivity?

You may need to check the IP settings in OS X, then make sure they are the same in Vista.

OS X:

System Preferences -> Network -> Ethernet (On left)

Check your settings, write down the IP addresses if it doesn't say Using DHCP.

Take note of the DNS server in my screenshot - it's OpenDNS and usually pretty fast. Feel free to use that as your DNS setting.

I don't have my wife's Vista machine here, so I can't tell you the steps to get to the IP settings, but they should be the same as OS X. E.g. OS X = DHCP; Vista = DHCP

Attached Files:

7. weich1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my mistake

It says I'm using at&t internet, high speed internet. I thought that was the same as ethernet but I guess not. I took a picture of it and made it an attachment. If you can still help me that would be great. I'm not that computer saavy.

Attached Files:

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That is still Ethernet, it just took on the name of your provider. The procedure is still the same as above.

9. Nyeman17 macrumors newbie

i Figured out how to make the internet able to connect while using vista running on boot camp on a mac(obviously) .And more drivers that you will need.
    1st-Run Vista and or Windows 7 on you mac
    2nd- insert your snow leopard and or leopard disk (while still running vista)
    3rd- Go through the Boot Camp Procedures( a window should pop up, which then you would run the program), which will download and install the drivers.

This worked for me 100%, and hopefully it will for you too.