Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi all, I have an odd problem. Everything says I'm hooked up to the internet except the actual programs that use it. Airport Admin says I'm on and gives me all the numbers using DHCP, Internet Connect says the Airport Express is working and connected to the internet, and Network in System preferences says the Airport is on and connected to the internet.

However, no program that uses it (Safari, Mail, iChat, etc) says I'm connected. When I run the Network Diagnostics or whatever that Safari gives you the option to use, it says connecting to the internet failed.

What do I need to do to connect? I'm at a lose since all the applications you normally work with to get the internet to work say it already is.

Thanks for the help

PS - the little light on the Airport Express is solid green as well, as if everything was working fine.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
One thing that a friend suggested to me was to shut everything off for awhile, then turn it back on. I've tried this several times, and still nothing is working. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
What happens if you try to go to http://64.233.167.99/ in Safari.

If you come to Google, then you are connected to the internet, but your ISP has some problems with it's DNS server or you need to add/change the address to the DNS server. If you still doesn't get anywhere, then you're not connected to the internet properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.