Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrickowtf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Chicago
i can't connect to the wifi anymore. it keeps telling me i have the wrong password even though i can disconnect and reconnect over and over again on my macbook air with the same password.

is anyone else having wifi troubles after upgrading?

i have a 5s

joshellis625

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
Georgia
I highly recommend resetting your network settings. It solves many problems related to Wi-Fi/Cellular issues, especially when updating to a new version of iOS.

WARNING: THIS WILL ERASE ALL SAVED WI-FI PASSWORDS AND SAVED NETWORKS
Settings > Reset (very bottom) > Reset Network Settings

If you still have issues after trying this then I recommend an iOS Software Restore.

WARNING: THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON THE PHONE THAT IS NOT BACKED UP
Settings > Reset (very bottom) > Erase All Content and Settings

Last edited:

patrickowtf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Chicago
yeah, i already tried that.

after typing in the correct password, i get not one, not two, not THREE, but FOUR prompts telling me the password was incorrect. i have to clear them all. i have no idea what's going on.

joshellis625

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
Georgia
yeah, i already tried that.

after typing in the correct password, i get not one, not two, not THREE, but FOUR prompts telling me the password was incorrect. i have to clear them all. i have no idea what's going on.

In that case you might benefit from a system restore which I added to the end of my first post. It's a pain but generally fixes most issues. Even better is restoring without using your backup as this can bring back old configuration files, which can interfere with new iterations of iOS.

Try a full restore and pull in your iCloud backup first and if that doesn't work try a full restore as a new phone and do not restore your iCloud backup. You will then have to manually install all of your apps and re-add your mail accounts, etc. Make sure your pictures are all backed up (iCloud).

patrickowtf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Chicago
i did a system restore but the start up process is now trying to get me to connect to wifi to continue, and it's still saying that the password is incorrect, so now i can't really do anything

joshellis625

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
Georgia
That makes me suspicious of your wireless router. Are you familiar with how to verify your wifi password and settings through your router's configuration page? I would double check that.

Besides that there is a slight possibility that your iPhone's wifi circuitry is failing but the main symptom of that is generally a grayed-out wifi switch in the iOS settings. That's more of a last option type of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.