Can't connect to wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Terrymcmichael, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Terrymcmichael macrumors newbie

I have the first iPad. The wifi in settings is gray and says No Wifi. I had this problem before and someone helped me. They told me to go to Safari in settings and clear history and cookies and reboot. It doesn't work anymore and I cannot connect! Can anyone help?

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Reset: hold down the Home and Sleep/Wake button at the same time for ~10sec, ignore the Slide to Power Off, the iPad will then Reset, Note: No data is lost during a Reset.

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Sertings

3. Terrymcmichael thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused:Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, it did not work. I held both buttons down (did it twice) and the wifi is still greyed out. It just says No WiFi.
    Any other suggestions?

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Have you tried connecting at a different location offering WiFi?

5. Terrymcmichael thread starter macrumors newbie

can't connect to wifi - greyed out on ipad

I don't think the location is a problem. In settings, the words wi-fi are in light grey and everything else is in dark black letters. My ipad just isn't giving me any options to try to connect. This has happened before, but I don't remember how I got it back. I tried resetting the ipad but that didn't work, either.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If the toggle is greyed out that means the iPad believes you have no wifi antenna. Might be corrupt software but might also be that the antenna has gone bad.

You could try a backup/restore etc but frankly something tells me that's a long shot. If it's been glitchy for a while it was probably dying and is not dead. Time to get a newer iPad. I'd say if you can stand it, wait for the alleged mid October announcement and then even if the new ones don't rock your world you can get the discontinuing models a tad cheaper.

7. Terrymcmichael thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the message. I, too, think the antenna is bad. I have tried everything. I do have a mini-ipad so I guess that will have to do. Sometimes, though, I get tired of the smallness of the mini. I would rather work on a larger screen.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If it's under warranty get it serviced. If not, you are better off waiting for the announcement before you buy a new one. It's only like two, three tops, weeks away.