Can't connect to Windows 2k Server share

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by satorisurf, Mar 5, 2008.

1. satorisurf macrumors newbie

I've been searching for the past 2 weeks for the answer to this, and have tried every suggestion I've found, but nothing works. Here are the specifics:

I am running Tiger and am trying to connect to a shared folder on a locally-networked Windows 2000 Server. I can see the server in my Network, and when I try to connect to it, am prompted for a password. No password is required so I leave it blank and click OK. The next pop-up is an error stating: "The alias [server-name] could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found." If I do Go>Connect to Server> then enter smb://ServerName/ShareName/, I am again prompted for a password, which I leave blank and click OK. This time I get the error: "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct."

I can connect to other PC's on my network, just not the main server, which is running Windows 2K Server. I have gone through all the Local Security Policies on the server, and disabled everything that could possibly cause my Mac to have an authentication error. I have also checked the settings on my Mac, SMB is enabled, Windows Sharing, etc.

Does anyone have a solution for this, or a suggestion for something I may have overlooked?

Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try giving the server share a password. when i vnc to my Mac from my PC using TightVNC i have to make a password in screen sharing preferences otherwise it wont work. no harm in trying.

3. lukoson macrumors member

I've had a similar problem with my new 2.2 SR MBP. I have a dell desktop (its not a server) but I was hoping to access the computer (windows xp) and drag files including word docs and itunes music to my new mbp. My computer shows up on the mac but when I click on some of the files (i.e. shared music etc) it prompts me for a password. I have never set a password on my pc and when I leave it blank it gives me the message of not being able to access the files due to incorrect password. I have tried to set an administrator password on my pc and later tried to access the pc using those passwords but still no luck. I called apple care and he was not able to help me and suggested that it was a pc issue since the pc is showing up under the shared computers.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you guys tried your PC's username and password?

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Like the others have said,,, Try putting in a password. This isn't a server that can be seen from the outside is it? Also you should pretty much put a password on all of your accounts.