Can't connect to Windows PC Homegroup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yoe91, Jul 23, 2014.

1. yoe91 macrumors member

Hi,
    I've seriously tried it all. Here's my setup:
    wifi router, MBPro and PC connected to internet, no problem.
    Mac=10.8.5
    PC desktop=Windows 7

Can see PC appear in finder on left column under network, but cannot access. Files are shared on PC, worked just fine in my other house, could access files from my Mac, just not here. I just moved.
    As 'guest' or as 'permissioned user', doesn't work. I tried the smb:// thing with the PC name, or local IP address. Nothing.
    Constantly get the error:
    "There was a problem connecting to the server "hp-pc".
    This file server is available on your computer. Access the volumes and files locally.

I even tried turning my anti-virus off on the PC.

Can anybody help me, there's got to be something I'm not doing here...

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. yoe91, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

thanks a lot man. Hope this works I've tried loads of forum solutions before...will try right now and get back to you.

EDIT:
    Nope. Same thing. I get this same error message:
    [​IMG]

As I try to "Connect to Server" on my Mac. occasionally, it asks me if I want to enter as a guest or enter a password, either way nothing ever works.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I going ask tis, are you on the same subnet between the Windows 7 PC and the Mac? Are you using the PC's Administrator account to log on the PC? Did you restart the PC after setting up the Advanced Sharing in Windows 7?

5. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

subnet: I don't know, but I suppose so. How do I check, really quick ?

PC's Administrator: I think so, but not 100% sure.

Did I restart the PC: yes.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. Subnet: In laymen's terms you it means that the first three octets have to be the same.

2. Do you own the PC and have an Account setup when you first got it? Do you own the PC?

7. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

What 255.255.255.0 ?...it's hard to understand point 1. And yes, definitely I own the PC. Like I said, it was working just fine some weeks ago in the old house, the only thing that's changed is this new router I guess. Same two computers, same everything.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

9. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, cool ! I'll try that, that seems like a likely solution...indeed my router allowed a number of TCP and UDP ports, but not TCP 139...I'll try adding it.

10. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

I only managed to do it now. Port forwarding was hard to figure out on this router, dang...check it out, it's in French but all the same words as in English:
    [​IMG]

The info you see is the default stuff in grey. When I created a new condition in my router firewall, I wrote everything as this is, with only 139 at the end in stead of the '443'. Like this:
    [​IMG]

And then I tried connecting, and still got the same error message.
    But now that I think about it, it's less a problem with the Mac and more with accessing the HOMEGROUP at all, as I tried from my WD TV Live device, and couldn't access files from the PC from there either...so it must be the medium of communication, i.e. the router. So I think we're on the right track.

Could you just tell me if that last pic I posted seems sound to you in the parameters for the 139 TCP port ?