Cant connect to wireless - all my fault

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cannonguy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. cannonguy macrumors newbie

OK, I'm an idiot. Just thought I'd get that out.

I was using wireless in a hotel earlier this week. I launched finder and saw another macbook user appear in my connections. Huh? So I verified my file sharing was disabled, but I wasnt comfortable with the connection. Quick Google search says this intrusion is due to Bonjour, that its not an optional setting in Snow Leopard. Another link offers me the opportunity to disable Bonjour if I run a script in terminal.

http://tech.karbassi.com/2007/11/06/leopard-turn-off-bonjour-mdnsresponder/

You can see this coming a mile away, right? Like I said, I'm an idiot.

i ran the reverse script with no luck. i can connect via dhcp fine through airport or ethernet, but I cant launch Safari or Firefox. Mail works. Web services dont. Diagnostics is no help. I dont have a Time machine restore point. Do I have to reinstall the OS?

i've already searched this and other forums. Sorry if this was addressed last week in a huge thread, cause I missed that too.

Please help an idiot Mac brother out and tell me how to ungunk this!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Get the com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist from someone and just copy it to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/

Also, check to see if it’s in your trash.

3. cannonguy, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

cannonguy thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet

where can I get one? Trash is empty....

edit: OK - it's in the folder where it belongs; no dice. There's also a 4k-sized copy beside it. Activity monitor shows nothing. However in the launchdaemons folder I noticed my usbmuxd.plist was modified/saved on the same day.

Now what?

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't have any idea if this will help you or not but here's a copy of my com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist. NOTE: It's from OS X 10.4.11 Tiger don't know if that will make a difference or not, but you might want to make a backup of the one you've got in case you need to go back to it.

Attached Files:

5. cannonguy thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!

Friend, I dont know if it will help or not either. But I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me on your Saturday. Thank you!!!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Get Property List Editor and open the plist file and make a screen shot of it with everything expanded.

7. cannonguy thread starter macrumors newbie

simples best

Well, I used XCode to do as you bade, then the gravity of getting the screen shot saved and transmitted to my iPad (given no net access via the MBP) gave me pause.

So I just dug out the install disk. Problem solved in under an hour.

Sincerest thanks again to -aggie- and DewGuy1999 for your help!!!

Dana