Can't connect xbox 360 to Airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DPK501, Nov 2, 2008.

1. DPK501 macrumors newbie

I just purchased an AEBS. I plugged the xbox 360 via ethernet to the AEBS but I can not connect to xbox live. What am I missing here?

Thanks from a newbie.

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

did you run the base station setup on your mac or pc?

I'm pretty sure it requires some kind of initial setup.

3. DPK501 thread starter macrumors newbie

I setup the AEBS on my macbook. No PC's here. I assumed it would be as simple as plugging the xbox 360 ethernet cord into the AEBS ethernet port but no luck.

Any recommendations? Setting changes?

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Hmm, i'm not sure.

Does the wire work with the mac? The wire could be damaged, even if it looks fine. Check also if the xBox can connect to wireless.

I would try that first, see if there is a connection. Did you do manual setup in the airport configuration app? Check the settings to see if anything looks wrong.

Other than that, I am not sure. I have a Ps3 which hooked up fine (through wireless), I have not tried wired, as it is not in a good position to do so (id have to run it through the living room). If you're doing wired on Xbox live for connection quality, just try out wireless. People say they lag like crazy on wireless, but the air port extreme seems to handle it pretty well. I still lag sometimes on Call Of Duty 4, but that used to happen regardless.

5. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Can you connect to the internet?

Not to ask a dumb question but you have plugged the cable into the cable modem and then the network cable from the cable modem to the ethernet in on the aebs and then a second network cable from ethernet out to the xbox360?

If you cannot get onto the internet then you probably have a problem with your setup within the software or you didn't properly cable everything.

If you think everything is properly cabled then unplug the cable modem and the aebs and then plug the cable modem back in, wait for it to boot and then once it is rebooted fully plug the aebs back in.

6. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Go into the xbox dashboard and go to the network settings. You can run a diagnostic program from there, which will tell you if your problem is with the router or something else.

7. DPK501 thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't register with it directly connected to the modem. I've tried power cycling and switching and testing cables. O the diagnostic screen it just say's "disconnected" on the network adaptor. It won't register IP or DNS. I'm starting to think it's a dead ethernet port on the xbox. Everything is properly cabled.

When you guys plug the ethernet cable from the xbox to the AEBS does it register automatically for plug and play? What settings have you all had to change on your AEBS?

Thanks.

8. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

I haven't had to reconnect it in a long time but it pretty much just recognized it after I did the setup wizard.

I would agree it sounds like you have a bad network port.