can't convert mov to mp3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by inscrewtable, Sep 7, 2012.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

I started with an .avi movie and then extracted the sound. Now I have a .mov file that according to the info is an mpeg layer 3

However there is something strange about it. I've tried everything I can think of to convert it to an mp3 file to play in iTunes.

It plays as it is in QT 7 or QT10 or VLC, but it won't play in preview mode.

I have tried exporting it from QT7 to an aiff sound file. If I click the 'preview' I can hear it fine. When I export it, I get a 160mb aiff file from the original 24mb .mov file, which is fine as I thought I could then export from itunes, however the aiff file has not sound. It won't play in QT or in iTunes. I tried importing the aif file and also the mov file into garage band and they also have no sound in there either.

Every other way I've tried to export it it has no sound.

I'm not sure what is going on here.

any help appreciated

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Convert it with All2MP3.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

@inscrewtable:

Can you drag the .mov or .mp4 file (only sound, no video) in the iTunes playlist window? If yes, you can use the iTunes AAC/MP3/WAV encoder via the iTunes import/convert function.

If i download .mp4 music videos from youtube (with JDownloader), i remove the video track with QT7 (single click), and save the audio track in a .mov file. Requires QT7 Pro, IIRC.

See also:
    http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-s...69-audio-mov-mp3-how-convert.html#post1269129

4. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Well that worked like magic. I've been searching everywhere all morning for a solution. Thanks

@Mr. Retrofire, your suggestion is one of the many things I tried which did not work. It would import into itunes but it had no sound.

5. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Can't you just use QT to save as .aif, then open in iTunes and convert to MP3 or AAC?

6. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

As I said in my original post that did not work. It produced an aif file that did not play, much less convert.

Really the all2mp3 app suggested was like a dream come true.

7. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Sorry I missed that, good to hear you found a solution.