Can't copy and paste properly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xxlauren, Jan 23, 2010.

1. xxlauren macrumors newbie

Whenever I try to copy and paste class lectures into Word / Pages / Msn Conversations/ anything, it comes out vertically. For example, this lecture is supposed to say:

"POLS*3130
    Law, Politics and the Judicial Process
    University of Guelph
    Prof. Dennis Baker
    Judicial Process and ADR"

But when I click copy and paste, or the mouse and drag the text to the desktop this it what pastes:

POLS*3130 Law, Politics and the
    UUniversity of Guelph Prof. Dennis Baker
    JJud
    J
    J
    c
    c
    PProcess an
    d
    d
    i
    i
    i
    i
    i
    i
    iia
    l
    l
    l
    l
    P
    P
    d
    d
    d
    d
    A
    A
    A
    A
    D
    D
    D
    D
    R
    R
    R
    R"

Thanks if anyone can help me!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

More information needed. What format are the lectures in? What are you trying to paste into?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Looks like the text either came from a table or is being pasted into a table, and the table is getting squeezed very narrowly, which causes the text to wrap tightly.

4. xxlauren thread starter macrumors newbie

The lectures are on the previewer thing (firefox) or the browser (safari), I don't think there's any tables. I've attached pictures of what I am trying to copy and paste (Also, I talked to 2 people with macs and they didn't have trouble pasting their lecture slides)

Attached Files:

5. splitpea macrumors 6502a

PDF, then. Probably when the original format was converted to PDF, the text flow got screwed up. It's a problem with the document you're copying from, not the software you're using to view, copy, or paste; and there may not be any way to fix it.

6. xxlauren thread starter macrumors newbie

If i copy this document (any lecture slide from any class) it doesn't work. Yet if i used my windows computer and open this file it works (with this exact same document). Even other people with macs are able to paste this exact same document properly so that's why I feel like it's a problem with my computer.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Given the rest of the information you've provided, I'd suggest getting together with a friend with a Mac and comparing preference settings for Word, Pages, etc. Make a note of differences so you'll have a record of what yours were in case you end up wanting to go "back to the way things were" later.

If you want, post the differences here first, or just go ahead and change yours and see if that makes any difference in performance. Let us know how it comes out if you choose the latter route.

8. xxlauren thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if this is a problem with the new 2009 macbook. My friend got a macbook the same week as me and she has the same problem. It's so annoying, no time to completely type out lectures prior to class :(

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is it still under warranty? Are you close to an Apple Store?

If yes to both, take it in and demonstrate the problem to someone (Genuis Bar) and see what they suggest.

10. xxlauren thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I am away at school right now the closest apple store is over an hour away from home so I will have to plan out a day when I go home and less busy with schoolwork.. Hopefully I will have time soon, or someone can help solve this problem online... My friend paid for mac lessons and she has the same problem as me, so if they figure out the solution I will post it in case anyone else has this problem in the future!

11. Buzz Bumble Guest

Since two computers are doing this, I'd say it's a problem with the PDF files themselves - not all PDFs are created properly and not all PDF readers can render them properly either.

Instead of using Firefox / Safari in-built PDF viewer, save the PDFs to your computer and open them in Preview to see if that fixes the problem.

If not, try installing the free Adobe Reader application from Adobe's website and see if that fixes the problem. From here you might also be able to use Save As from the File menu to save the PDF directly to a text / RTF file.

12. xxlauren thread starter macrumors newbie

^ I think previewer might be the problem, I just took your advice and downloaded Adobe Reader (9) and it looks a lot better, it's not totally perfect but i don't think it was before.

Anyhow, it no longer pastes vertically which was my main concern. I think this might be as good as it gets which is good enough for me so thanks for the help!