Can't copy Aperture Library because it's 'in use'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 156457, Jul 22, 2012.

1. 156457 macrumors 6502

I'm desperately trying to copy my 23GB Aperture library to an external USB HD, and it keeps stopping whilst transferring saying the file is in use. Sometimes it shows this after 1GB has transferred and sometimes after 20GB has transferred but it never makes it to 23GB. Both Aperture and iPhoto are closed (it's a shared library) and I've searched all over the internet for a solution but can't find any. I even tried using Terminal to copy it but it shows 'Can't copy ApertureData.xml: resource is busy' and stops copying.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just a shot in the dark, but do you have Time Machine? If so, turn that off and see if that helps.

Do you have any other back up solutions? Do you use DropBox (or similar)?

Luck.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Could check Activity Monitor; might be that something else is accessing it. I think Mail can, for example.

You could also try restarting in safe mode so that all extraneous stuff is not running, and retry the copy.

4. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I'll give those suggestions a try and post back.

5. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

None of that has worked, I'm currently on a Safe Boot with Time Machine disabled, and it's still 'Aperture Library' is in use. This is driving me insane! Any other suggestions?

6. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. netslacker macrumors 6502

I can't tell you why it's still in use but an alternative method would be to just use Aperture itself. Export your library, or pieces thereof, to a new one in a new location, problem solved.

This also happens to be the only method that Apple details on their documentation site for Aperture.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/#chapter=3%26section=0