Can't Copy Files, Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Slav2009, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Slav2009 macrumors member

I'm in a major jam here, someone please help...

I have two identical external USB hdd's. One was formatted NTFS which I was using for downloaded movies on my WDTV media player. The other drive is formatted MAC OS EXTENDED (Journaled) which I was using for time machine.

I got a PS3 and quickly learned I need to have a FAT32 drive in order to have it read my HDD, and I want to eliminate my WDTV. So I copied all the movies from the NTFS drive to the Mac OS Ex drive, took 4 hours but got it done. Then I formatted the NTFS drive to FAT using the Mac, and when I try to copy the movies back a bunch of them are giving me errors:

The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "movie name" can't be read or written (Error code -36)

What do I do?? I can't even copy them to my desktop. Some movies are copying and others aren't.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As I recall, FAT32 has a 4GB file size restriction
    Perhaps that is your issue here

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You recall correctly:

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    • Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB

4. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

Thats not the issue the files are under that size, they are like 1.7gb max, most under 900mb

5. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well about 10% of my movies are corrupt now which makes no sense to me. So dumb