Can't copy files with a / over to Airdisk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markw10, Apr 20, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I now have my Airport Extreme Base Station and have a Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive attached to it. One of the first things I did is copy my important files over to this hard drive and plan to do this on a weekly basis as a back up copy.
    Overall this process went very well. The only problem I did run into is some files in the directory Microsoft User Data that won't copy. These files are Entourage files so are important but they are scripts that have a / in them. it seems these are files that for some reason won't copy over. Is there a way around this? I could just skip these files but it makes it more complicated than simply dragging the Documents folder over to the airdisk.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I ran into the same problem when copying files to a server at work. It's because the slash is illegal and Microsoft is a poohie company. I used Automator to replace the slashes.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the slash isn't illegal in HFS+, is it? This even affects an HFS+ disk if it's on the AEBS? :(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know if it's a format issue so much as a transfer protocol one. Dunno. :eek: