Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilikecorn500

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I just got a new internal hard drive for my iMac. I cloned it before I replaced it, so it's an exact copy of my old one. Previously, I had some iMovie events and projects on my internal drive, and the ones created after that were on my external drive. I would like to move all of the projects and events that are on my external drive to the same place all of the other ones are located on the new internal drive.

Here's the problem:

When I tried to copy the events to the internal drive from within iMovie (the click and drag method), I got an error that the file could not be found.

When I tried to copy a project to the internal drive from within iMovie, and clicked copy project and events, I got a message that an error occurred.

I would really like to move these projects and events. Any help is appreciated.

BTW, I am using iMovie '11 to do this. I haven't used the new iMovie much, and frankly, I don't want to.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Couple of things I can possibly think of.

1. Try importing the files into iMovie instead of copy and paste. As the files are set with paths to the external, iMovie may not be recognizing those paths, hence the errors you are receiving.

2. Try moving the files from your external into the folders where you have your other iMovie events & projects already created on your internal drive. Then import them into iMovie. Hopefully this will recreate the paths so that iMovie will recognize the events & projects you are trying to import without errors.

I have always found iMovie to be really fussy about moving files around or the slightest change to a file outside of iMovie. I know you cloned your drive, but none the less, it was a change to you system. Hopefully one of my suggestions finds you a solution.

ilikecorn500

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Couple of things I can possibly think of.

1. Try importing the files into iMovie instead of copy and paste. As the files are set with paths to the external, iMovie may not be recognizing those paths, hence the errors you are receiving.

2. Try moving the files from your external into the folders where you have your other iMovie events & projects already created on your internal drive. Then import them into iMovie. Hopefully this will recreate the paths so that iMovie will recognize the events & projects you are trying to import without errors.

I have always found iMovie to be really fussy about moving files around or the slightest change to a file outside of iMovie. I know you cloned your drive, but none the less, it was a change to you system. Hopefully one of my suggestions finds you a solution.

I just decided to use the new iMovie, click and drag the projects from the external library to the internal one, then consolidate the library on the internal. It worked. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.