Can't copy iPhoto 09 library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vbmike73, Jan 27, 2010.

1. vbmike73 macrumors regular

I have my library on my iMac running Snow Leopard and iPhoto 09. I want to copy it to my MacBook Pro running the same. Whenever I try to copy it over, I get the following error after it copies a few MB worth:

The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "iPhoto Library" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)

I have found a similar problem online that someone was having, but it was error code -30, and they didn't have a fix.

Any ideas? Does this have to do with permissions?

And if there is a better way to do what I am trying to accomplish, PLEASE tell me. Ultimately, I want to keep the master library on my iMac, and be able to view it on my MBP. Prior to updating to Snow Leopard, I never had this problem of copying it over. It would take a while, but it worked. So if there is an efficient way to share, I'm listening! Thanks in advance!

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Have you run Disk Utility on the drive to see if there are errors? I would start there.

3. brianmcdoogle macrumors newbie

I can't help you, but I have had this problem for a while on Snow Leopard, and as a result, my iPhoto Library isn't backed up, which is frightening to me. I tried copying it to another location on my hard drive and copying it back. I tried copying the copy, and nothing seems to work. I tried Chronosync to get it to an external drive and that didn't work as well, and the format of the drive had no effect on it. I dunno. Disk Utility shows no problems.

4. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't get it to copy to to any drive. Well, I should clarify. I am trying to copy this over my network. So through Finder, from my iMac, I connect to my MBP. Then I drag the library over to the MBP. This is the way I have always done it with no problems. I have tried copying it directly to the MBP internal HD (over the network still) and I have also tried copying it to both external FW hard drives I have conencted to the MBP. So none of those options work. So I know the drives are fine, so no need for disk utility. But I have not tried copying it directly to an external hooked up to the iMac. I will try that tonight and see if that even works. Then I'd know if it's a library issue, or a network issue. Maybe some network settings got changed when I upgraded to Snow Leopard? Is that possible? Although, I know I can see the MBP from the iMac, and vice-versa.

5. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Can you copy it to a local folder without issues?

7. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

Last night I was successfully able to copy it to a USB External HD that was attached to the source Mac. So I know there's nothing wrong with the library itself. It must have something to do with trying to copy it over the network to a FW HD attached to my target Mac. But it always worked fine prior to Snow Leopard, if that's even what's causing the problems. Could there be anything with permissions I could check?