cant copy .mov or .mp4 to ipad anymore?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by doobybiggs, Jan 13, 2013.

1. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I copied my first MP4 move to the ipad just fine ... but now it wont let me copy any other movies to it. it gives me the error you see in the picture below ...

Attached Files:

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It's because it's not supported. Just any ol' MP4 isn't supported on the iPad. Make sure the video supports these specs.

From Apple:

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

3. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Hmmm ok, guess I will need to play with my conversion settings to get those settings above.

I just thought an MP4 was an MP4 :rolleyes:

4. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

You might want to run it through iMovie. Before you export it allows you to choose the format based on the quality of the video. Pretty much everything (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) work with the 720p setting. If you go to 1080, there is not much that works. Play with it.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Note that this list also contains file formats (AVI with Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) video) NOT synchable via iTunes. It only applies to importing via the CCK.

----------

1. I don't recommend iMovie for reencoding. HandBrake is waaaay faster and is free or, even better, use Subler or MP4Tools for remuxing (if possible).

2. 1080p works out of the box on all iPads except for the iPad 1. On the latter, you can only play it back from third-party players but can't synchronize them via iTunes' Movies tab.

----------

Before embarking on any time-consuming reencoding, try changing the H.264 level of the file with, say, Subler. I'm pretty sure it'll help.