Can't copy to CD-R disk - error locked

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by suchin, Oct 17, 2009.

1. suchin macrumors newbie

I'm trying to help my mom copy files over to a CD-R disk on her blue G3 iMac with OS 9 but they, the disks all just say they are locked.

I got her new disks of different makes, and they do show up on the desktop.

Inserting a disk with data and copying that to the hard drive works fine.

So what I'm I doing wrong?

Suchin

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

An iMac G3 only has a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive so it doesn't have the ability to write files to a CD.

3. suchin thread starter macrumors newbie

So how can I get a copy of her files out from her computer then?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Floppy or zip drive through USB? Or emailing the file(s) if it/they are small enough as attachments.

5. oculus42 macrumors 6502

You could order a CD-RW with the Indigo iMac (Summer 2000, I think) but the Blueberry iMac couldn't burn discs. USB will work but it's USB 1.1 (12mbps or maximum of 1.5 MB/sec) so it'll be slow going. If you have two computers in the same location, you could set up a network between the two and copy the files over the relatively fast 100mbps connection.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Get a cheap thumb drive formatted as FAT.

OS 9 can mount that just like any other external. Expect USB 1.1 transfer speed to be slow though. A network crossover cable connected between two computers with AppleShare turned on should work as well.

7. suchin thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have another mac computer and I would not know how to put another CD drive in. But if you all say there is a USB port in the computer (I didn't see one but I check again) that would be fine thanks for answers.

8. suchin thread starter macrumors newbie

My mothers iMac is actually Agua colored and do have 2 USB openings. I used the printer USB port with a new thumb drive that I tried out on my computer and copied a couple of files onto.

In her house I can see the thumb drive and I can copy from it but copying or dragging files onto it did not work, any further ideas? What is it that I'm doing wrong?

Also she has no connection to WWW.

9. oculus42 macrumors 6502

I would recommend formatting the thumb drive on the Mac, just to make sure the Mac can read it. When you select the drive, the Format command under the Special menu (I cannot be sure... it's been almost a Decade since I used Mac OS 9 significantly) should allow you to choose DOS(FAT) format, which a PC will also be able to read.