Can't copy volume

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OldCorpse, Sep 8, 2008.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I use iTunes and I keep the music folder with all my music files on an external hard drive. I don't have any DRM'd tracks that I'm aware of, with one possible exception (I'm not sure about that one). Anyhow, in case that HDD goes south, I'd lose all my music, so I want to make a backup to another external hard drive.

I tried to use SuperDuper (with which I've had success in the past). Problem is, the copying operation hangs up at some point and makes no further progress. I tried several times - once it hung up at 3GB, another at 25GB etc. The amount of files is 300GB.

I used Disk Utility to completely erase the target HDD, and tried again, but it always hangs up. I also used the "repair disk" function, but it showed no repair was necessary.

So then I gave up on SuperDuper, and tried to just do straight "copy" from the original HDD to "paste" on the target HDD. At that point, a dialogue popped up: "The operation could not be completed because you do not have the necessary privileges for some items". I checked read and write permissions on both disks (using "Get Info"), and I do have both.

So what gives? And how can I make a backup copy of my music external hard drive? TIA!

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Did you try booting from dvd and running disk utility from there? That usually works when it has issues in the os from drive.

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

What kind of external hard drives are you using? I ran into that issue (Finder / SuperDuper stopping after some random amount of data copied and crashing ) when I was using an external USB drive. I was told (although I did not believe that) that USB was not made for GB data transfer...

That said, I got a FireWire hard drive then and had no problems since...

Pit

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thanks for the replies. I was using a WD My Book drive like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WDH1CS5000N-500GB-External/dp/B000WGSAAE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

It has FW and USB and I was using FW.

Anyhow, I don't know what is causing this, but I do know that when I used a different drive (Seagate), and SuperDuper, I had no problem at all, it copied just fine.

Finally, in order to have more than one backup, I did something horrendously time consuming, but it worked on the WD drive. First, I copied from drive 1 onto my internal drive 30GB chunks of data, and then from the internal drive onto the WD drive. Ugh. Had to do this double copying 10 times :( - it was the only way... as soon as I tried copying from drive 1 directly to the WD, it would hang.

Bottom line, something weird involving the WD drive - have no idea why and what it means.