Can't create dmg after getting flashing folder at startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tv3636, Mar 29, 2010.

1. tv3636 macrumors newbie

First off this is from my iphone so sorry for poor grammar/spelling...

Anyway I got the flashing folder error, booted from the snow leopard install disc, and want to get a dmg of my hd so I can recover files if possible....

I get Input/output error while trying to create the dmg. I get invalid b tree node size error when verifying and I can't repair it.

Is there another way to backup at this point or salvage files without buying/using other software? I'm at college so resources are limited. I don't have a backup so it's fairly important that I can somehow recover files.

Also I've tried resetting PRAM with no luck. Is the drive busted beyond repair or is there something I can
    do?
    thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Are you concerned with backups because you want to reinstall? If that's the case, you can perform an Archive and Install option that will preserve your files and settings.

3. tv3636 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm under the impression that I have to reinstall the OS, how would I perform an archive and install? If I go to install the OS it can't find my drive, (hence the flashing folder error), is it still possible to do an archive and install?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just to be clear because I'm a little confused by your two posts. If you boot off install DVD, does your HDD appear in Disk Utility? If so, then yes you can perform an Archive and Install. The flashing question mark/folder just means that it can't find an OS to boot from and doesn't necessarily mean the HDD is gone and it's software related that can be fixed with a reinstall.

5. tv3636 thread starter macrumors newbie

It does appear in Disk Utility, some of the errors I mentioned in my first post were during a repair of the HD. However, it does not appear as a volume to install on. It also is greyed out (font-wise) in Disk Utility, and it also doesn't appear in Startup Disk as an option.

Hope that clears it up. I guess I will look into the archive and install option.

Also, I have OSX 10.5 on the drive but I'm using the snow leopard disk. I was told this would work, but could that be preventing me from doing something? I'm sure the utilities are more or less the same either way so I can't see why not.