Can't create pdf's

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frogfishes, Dec 10, 2011.

1. frogfishes macrumors newbie

I have a new (October 2011) Imac i5 with suggested Epson Artisan 730; and cannot seem to save a file into pdf format. From the print menu, the pdf button allows to choose file name and save location, but nothing seems to happen. I can find no file saved - even after searching for the new file in FINDER.

Has anyone else come across this or fixed it?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Why did you mention your printer? Creating pdf's has nothing to do with the printer. It is part of OS X. Print>left hand "pdf" button at bottom>Save as PDF.
    Maybe choose open in Preview and then save .pdf out of preview.

3. frogfishes thread starter macrumors newbie

PDF's

Thanks for your reply,
    I mentioned the printer because I thought the printer driver might have something to do with the problem. I thought of the preview idea, but there is no option for pdf in preview. The only related button available in "preview" is the print button - which opens the printer and directly prints the page. I also tried "Save as" - but there is no pdf option there. I also saved as a jpeg and then tried to go to pdf from jpeg with no success.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

So you don't have this available? This is the easiest by far. Otherwise you can "Open in Preview". The when in Preview you do a "Save as..." Then choose the desired format.
    [​IMG]

5. frogfishes thread starter macrumors newbie

PDF's

Yes, I have that screen - this is my third MAC - so that is the first place I went. However, when I choose a file name and hit save as pdf ...the screen changes back to the print page - which is correct - however there is no file saved anywhere. (I am trying to save corel draw files).

I also cannot save to pdf directly from corel as I had done on my emac....a note comes up that it cannot find corelpdf011.....I assume because my older Corel 11 was not written for the latest OSX; and it looks like Corel no longer has a MAC version for Lion. That is why I went to the print screen to make the pdf.

To fill in some information, I am able to make a pdf from mircosoft word directly from the toolbar - and from the print screen as discussed above - but not from a Corel file.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I think you have your answer. Corel is all Java ported out these days. Not sure at all of their standard's compliance with the OS. Check with their support.

7. frogfishes thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

It this is Lion, Java isn't installed by default. It causes issues with Adobe products. It can be installed under the Custom Install option when upgrading or doing an initial install, but I don't know how to do this on a machine that came with Lion.

Dale

9. frogfishes thread starter macrumors newbie

The mac actually shipped with 10.6.8 I did not update it to lion yet.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

maybe updating your disc permissions may help? go to disc utility for that and click your hd>repair disc permission.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

That will not help OP as access is not the problem.

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Dale,
    If you launch an app that requires a Java runtime. The OS goes out to Apple servers (if connected to the internet) and downloads the latest JRE. Then your task re-starts and you are off. Pretty automatic regardless of the state you receive your Lion build. Adobe installers need Java so I have seen this progression many times. FYI.