Can't cut/paste, or drag pictures to desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamesryanbell, May 28, 2012.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'm running the latest version of OSX Lion on a 2011 Mac Mini Server with 8GB of RAM. Everything has always worked since I got it. Lately, for seemingly no reason (unless I hit a hot key that enabled/disabled something on accident), I can't cut and paste anything - even within the same application. I can "cut" or "Copy", but nothing will paste. It's not grayed out, but nothing is there when I try to paste whatever I've copied.

Also, I can't drag pictures to my desktop off of the browser either. It just highlights them. I can't hold the mouse button down in a browser and drag them to my desktop or anywhere else. I'm using a Magic Mouse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

-- Ryan

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Can you write other files, save them and such? Kinda sounds like you've somehow, accidentally, lost write permissions.

Click Command+I on your user in Finder (Macintosh HD-> Users-> Your User name) and check to make sure you still have the Read & Write Permission.

Very basic fix so it seems unlikely that it's something so simple but best get it out of the way first.

3. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Write permissions seem in tact, but thanks for the heads up there (for future reference).

Any other ideas?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you rebooted your Mac?

5. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Not lately. Why would that help? I can try that when I get home.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a basic first step in troubleshooting that resolves many issues. Yes, it can help.

7. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'll try that now, but even if it works, I'd still like to have an idea of what causes the problem. :) Thanks. Be right back....

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sometimes, restarting fixes weird problems as GGJstudios said, but getting closure on why something went funky never happens. If the reboot fixes it, just be happy! :)

9. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell