Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcg868

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
Blackburn, Lancashire, UK
Still can’t decide even though it won’t be till the new year. Currently on the iPhone 11 my first iPhone after Android phones since 2010.
Everything about the 11 has been perfect for me bar the lower res screen and punchy OLED.
The iPhone 12 would be £60 per month for the 128gb and zero upfront
And the 12 pro would be £58 per month and £50 upfront.
I’m not a power user but do like to use my phone for photography on holiday rather than lugging a big DSLR round in 40 Celsius heat. Is the pro really worth it? I haven’t really wanted a telephoto lens or the need to take night portraits. But I really use my ultra wide a lot.
Battery life is my main priority.

Reactions: lexikon318

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Sounds like they’d be almost the same for you, as the main benefits of the pro are camera features that you wouldn’t use. But on the other hand, they are partially the same price.

for me the key advantage to the 12 is the lighter weight, so that’s what I’d do if I were you.

marcg868

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
Blackburn, Lancashire, UK
Sounds like they’d be almost the same for you, as the main benefits of the pro are camera features that you wouldn’t use. But on the other hand, they are partially the same price.

for me the key advantage to the 12 is the lighter weight, so that’s what I’d do if I were you.
Not too fussed really about the weight. Prefer heavier as I know it’s in my pocket then.

lexikon318

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
It’s not like you won’t know the 12 will be in your pocket ha

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Not too fussed really about the weight. Prefer heavier as I know it’s in my pocket then.
Ok, so it sounds like they are nearly exactly the same for your purposes and also nearly the same price. So it really doesn’t matter which you choose.

John dosh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2019
I definitely would stick with the 11 not much of a difference to make the switch to the 12.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
The only thing I want is a OLED screen version of my 11. I miss the brightness and vivid blacks.
so the 12 probably is my best option.

Definitely the regular 12. I've been in that thread for yellow screens and it seems that the regular 12 (From replies) seem to have the best likelihood of a crisp white screen.

Plus it's a little less than the Pro and you don't seem to need/want the extra features it provides.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would say stick to the 11 and wait for the iPhone 13 for real camera upgrades. I truly believe the 12 series is a software update wrapped in a new design as the vast majority of the of the camera upgrades are really software driven and I don't buy for a minute that the chip in the 11 series isn't capable of having night mode on all lenses as in the 12. This is all planned by Apple in their product roadmap, not by the power/capability of the chips. Also, head over to the yellow tint thread and see if you are ok with the risk of having a display with those qualities.

That been said, if your adamant on upgrading to the 12, I would say regular 12. You were clear that you care the most about the ultra wide, not the telephoto. Both have them and are exactly the same. The telephoto on the 12 Pro, same as in prior years is barely used as it will need to have perfect lighting. The rest of the time, 90% of the time based on my experience, it is really using the wide camera and using a digital zoom. This is because the aperture of the telephoto (it does not get enough light therefore the iPhone uses the wide which gets more light). Another thing to consider is Apple ProRaw and the extra 2GB of RAM. Apple ProRaw is another software feature given to the Pro that I have no doubt that the regular 12 would be able to run had Apple chosen to (no matter what Apple sheep may argue otherwise).

I bought and returned a 12 Pro because of the yellow tint on the display, but if I could repurchase a 12 series iPhone with a 100% assurance that I would get a perfect screen, I would go for the regular 12. I expect there to be a bigger differentiation between Pro and non-Pro on the 13, but on the 12 series I just don't see any feature worth paying extra for the Pro, no matter how small the gap is between the regular and Pro. I fell for it as I was under the keynote spell, but now that I'm out of it, it is clear to me that the regular 12 is the way to go this year and Apple knows it, that is why their are hoping to up-sell everyone with the smaller price gap between them.

Last edited:

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Still can’t decide even though it won’t be till the new year. Currently on the iPhone 11 my first iPhone after Android phones since 2010.
Everything about the 11 has been perfect for me bar the lower res screen and punchy OLED.
I’m not a power user but do like to use my phone for photography on holiday rather than lugging a big DSLR round in 40 Celsius heat. Is the pro really worth it? I haven’t really wanted a telephoto lens or the need to take night portraits. But I really use my ultra wide a lot.
Stick with iPhone 11 a little longer. I have fixed my 12 pro yellow tint (repeatedly toggle true tone under bright light), but Apple needs to fess up and come clean on the matter. With yellow tint the screen will be a big big downgrade for you. That said I vote pro or save money with a mini.

AppleSmurf

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2020
Get the 12 if you want to set yourself up for 5G. I have the 12 and I’m planning on taking it the distance. Unless you’re looking for a full re design (possible in 2021?) pull the trigger in the 12. It’s got everything plus some vs the 11

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.