Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
A12---------------------not that big of a leap
Better battery life------To be determined
Bigger screen----------not in unzoomed uncropped mode
New camera tech------No telephoto lens
128gb storage option--Great if you fall in that zone of storage needs

View attachment 791993
The battery life being the best of any iPhone ever is all but guaranteed. The rest will have to be seen to decide if it works for someone or not.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Go compare your 7+ with an XS and you will get the XS.. amazing bigger screen in a smaller phone..Blows it away in my opinion. No clue on XR but thats my 2 cents. I went from a regular 7 to an XS and love it.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Go compare your 7+ with an XS and you will get the XS.. amazing bigger screen in a smaller phone..Blows it away in my opinion. No clue on XR but thats my 2 cents. I went from a regular 7 to an XS and love it.
I prefer the 7 Plus over the XS. The XS Max beats both though.

IMO, the XS is the upgrade for the 7/8.
The XS Max is the upgrade for the 7+/8+.

The XS is kind of a cross-grade vs. the 7+/8+.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I'm exactly the same. I'm on a 6s. Had my mind set on the Xr, but my wife got a new 7+ the other week, moving up from a 5s, and I can definitely see the difference in clarity between the 6s and 7+. So now I'm backtrailing on the Xr.

Now considering the Xs (max), X and 8+. With all the problems with the Xs (max) and Apple still silent about it, I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it.
Where I live it's still a €200 difference between a new X and a 8+. Batterylife on the 8+ is much better, it has a more usable screen and no chance on headaches. First world problems I know:(:rolleyes:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I am starting a new job where I will get a (partial) payment for a new phone (i.e. I get a fixed amount, anything above comes out of my own pocket). I currently have a 7+ which will benefit another family member (I am still perfectly happy with it).

But I can't make up my mind. An 8+ would be an 'economical' choice and has the advantage of keeping the fingerprint sensor.

XS or XR would be more 'fancy' and still give me a big screen, although physically being smaller. But the XS is so ridiculously expensive... XR on the other hand has a worse camera than the 8+...
Also not sure about the face-ID but maybe I am just old fashioned...

My worry about all the options mentioned is the glass back. I always use a case but I wonder how fragile they really are. I have dropped my 7+ numerous times. But I fancy the wireless charging (which I currently get on my 7+ only with a special case)

I know it's a personal decision but maybe some other opinons can help me...
Based on your post, you really should get the 8+
Con: XS size is too small for you and too expensive.
Con: XR Camera not the quality you are expecting.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Based on your post, you really should get the 8+
Con: XS size is too small for you and too expensive.
Con: XR Camera not the quality you are expecting.
XS is not really to small but the prices puts me off. Not sure if the XR camera quality is really that much inferior, I was already quite happy with the iPhone 6 (4.7") camera, but admittedly the 7+ camera is something else.

In any case, I'll wait not until the XR is on the market to check it out myself.

-M4-

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
XS is not really to small but the prices puts me off. Not sure if the XR camera quality is really that much inferior, I was already quite happy with the iPhone 6 (4.7") camera, but admittedly the 7+ camera is something else.

In any case, I'll wait not until the XR is on the market to check it out myself.

The sensor is the same as in the XS and it also has the same smartHDR. The only disadvantage is not having the telephoto lens, which won’t matter in the majority of use cases for most people. So the main camera will be as good as in the XS line.

Reactions: apolloa

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Not sure why people keep saying the XS is smaller than the 8+. XS= 5.8" screen, 8+= 5.5" screen..Am I missing something here?

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
Not sure why people keep saying the XS is smaller than the 8+. XS= 5.8" screen, 8+= 5.5" screen..Am I missing something here?

Yes, you missed the aspect ratio. Standard sized 16:9 video's on the Xs screen appear smaller than on a regular 8 and fill up the entire 8+ screen.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The sensor is the same as in the XS and it also has the same smartHDR. The only disadvantage is not having the telephoto lens, which won’t matter in the majority of use cases for most people. So the main camera will be as good as in the XS line.

The XR main camera will be noticeably better then the iPhone 7 Plus main non zoom camera.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
If screen resolution plays a big priority in the decision, all of the options should be considered over the Xr.

Vorpal279

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Eastern NC
I upgraded from a 7 to an 8+ yesterday. Love it. I debated on purchasing an XR, but went with the 8+ because the screen resolution and camera on the 8+ was superior and $50 cheaper. Plus, I think I would like touch ID better than Face ID. I'm definitely going to hold on to this one for a while.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
The XR's sensor is larger, and the new processing is better, regarding highlights.
Where did you find the information regarding the sensor size? I have never actually found any information regarding sensor sizes from Apple. But that would indeed make a difference.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Reactions: MarvinHC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.