Cant decide, 8gig or the 32gig

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Plonk, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Plonk macrumors newbie

Plonk

I really cant, this will be for my teen. How much stuff will she be putting on it, I have no idea. I dont want to get her the 8gig if she is going to be coming to me in 6 months time telling me its all full and she doesnt want to delete anything. Then again I dont want to go over board and get the 32 gig.
    Did any of you have trouble deciding?

2. THE dAY macrumors 6502

With HD video recording, 13 minutes of recording takes around 1gig of space.

8gigs can get filled up in one day. Get the 32gig for her.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I didn't have trouble deciding. I got the 32GB. 8GB will fill up very fast if you put any video on it at all. You put music on it, some movies, some photos, some apps... and on top of that you use the 720p video camera.... 8GBs will fill up fast. The extra cost to get 4 times the storage is well worth it in this case.

Edit: See... the day and I agree...

4. Plonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Plonk

Thank-you both, I didnt think about the recording she will do with it. I was only thinking of the songs and the *sigh* Justin Beiber film clips she will have.
    32gig it will be.:)

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Here is my take
    For a music only device and rarely recording/watching video 8gig
    Lots of music,apps and camera work no less than 16gig and is a good balance of space/price.
    32gig a lot more flexibility,
    If you even question getting the 32 just get it and avoid buyer remorse.

6. Plonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Plonk

Thanx, the more I read these posts, the more I am glad I have decided to get the 32gig

7. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Most people I know with pocket vidcams take short clips lasting just a few minutes each. With the touch, clips can be uploaded to any number of storage sites over WiFi. The 8GB version wouldn't be a handicap here.

Now a teen will most likely want to load lots of music and videos (movies, TV shows), so 8GB is definitely not enough for that.

Recommendation for a teen - 32GB.

8. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

With "only" $70 price difference, 32 Gb, definitely. I really don't get Apple's marketing strategy on this new iPod Touch line. Would make sense if the lower end offered 16 Gb, but 32 v. 8 and $299 v. $229 doesn't seem to make sense.

9. caribou123 macrumors member

Yep, you are getting 4x the storage for $70 more. Hard to pass that up if there is ANY chance of needing more than 8GB for your use.

10. Zompac macrumors newbie

32 gb

Cause some games out now are passing 500 megabytes, movies are 2 gbs, songs are 4 megabytes each, and with only 8gb you won't be able to fit very much. Oh and the video camera :). One minute of HD video is about 90-100 megabytes, 1 gigabyte for 10 minutes.

So I would get the 32 gigabyte one. Oh and it's only $70 more which is good.

11. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

This is why Apple still sells an 8GB model. They can tout a low price for the touch, knowing full well that it's not enough and that most people will move up to 32GB. If 16GB was their low end, fewer people would move up.

12. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Yep but if the 8Gb doesn't sell, it's cash frozen into working capital.

13. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

8gb model was good for 3gen touch. The latest touch has cameras so 8gb is not enough. Even for regular things like music, videos, apps 8gb is small space. Not to mention, you will only have like 6,7gb or 7,1gb capacity out of box. So no, don't buy 8GB model, pay 70$ more and get 32gb one. Plus, you'l get more money for it, whenever you decide to sell it sometime in the future, as practically nobody's gonna be interested in 8gb used model.

14. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I agree with the other posters in saying that you should go for the 32GB. You should consider that formatting issues and the software means that you have only around 7GB available. I have a 2g 8GB and it is nearly full - with 46 albums, about 6 apps (mostly games), some video and about 300 photos. Definitely going to buy a 32GB (or 64GB) next year.

EDIT: I think that 8GB was not enough even for the last generations. With HD video, 32GB seem to be the minimum.

15. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

The 8GB I bought (gift) was 6.5GB out of the box.

For this person, 8GB is more than enough. It's going to be used as a pocket computer and social networking device. Pics and videos (lasting just a few minutes each) will be uploaded to various social and storage websites over WiFi shortly after being taken. Then they'll be deleted, freeing up storage on the touch. It'll rarely be used as an MP3 player or for downloading videos.

So buying 32GB would be a waste of $70.

16. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

It depends on what it's being used for. Just because it can perform multiple functions - MP3 player, video player, pocket computer, etc - doesn't mean the owner has to use all of those functions.

I have two friends at work who own the 8GB 2G touch (purchased less than a year ago) and use it as a pocket PC. They've downloaded several work related apps (one cost over $500) and use it on the job. Buying a larger size would've been a waste of their money.

Remember, besides being a great media player, the touch is the best pocket PC out there and the 8GB model gives you the best bang for the buck.

17. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Ok agree, if you don't plan to store much music and apps on your touch, then 8gb might be enough. But once again, it's always better to have more space, than be limited to 8gb it's your choice :p You may also look for the costco prices - they have 32gb for 279$ in store, and 8gb for less than Apples prices too.

18. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

I bought it from Costco for $215 and it's going to be a present. 8GB is more than enough for this person. I've been playing with it and it's a cool gadget. I need to take it back and exchange it though, because it has a couple of light leaks.

If there aren't any ~ $400 7" Android tablets available by the holidays, I just might get a touch instead. I need a portable device smaller than my netbook and would prefer Android, but I'm not about to pay those outrageous prices currently being tossed about or having to be forced into a contract and a data plan.