Can't decide about which camera panasonic ac160 or canon xf300

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dtechlogic, Mar 9, 2012.

1. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Can't make up my mind on which camera to buy. So far i have been reading reviews on both cameras. Today i did have a canon xf 305 in my hand. I was at sammy camera looking at that camera. Now i just need to see a panasonic ac160. But i like both cameras but can't make up my mind. Any advice from those who has those camera already.

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I believe the Panasonic is 720P while the Canon is 1080P? What are you looking to do with the camera?
    The Canon has a nicer view finder.
    The Panasonic can have faster/more storage.

3. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

will be using the camera primarly at Church. It looks like both are 1080P. We have events at church and so far i am using the hamser sony hxr mc50u. But i would like to get another camera. So far i looking toward next year on buying it.

4. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I don't know either of these cameras, but why not a canon hv40?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Presumably one could use a Canon VIXIA HV40. However, the OP asked about the merits of the Panasonic AC160 as opposed to the Canon XF300. These are both professional-level cameras that record on solid state media. In the case of the Panasonic, it records 1920x1080 AVCHD on SD Memory Cards. In the case of the Canon XF300, it records MPEG2 Long GOP on Compact Flash. Both cameras use 3-sensor imaging elements and allow for all the expected accessories required for small studio or field production.

The Canon VIXIA HV40 is a very nice consumer-grade video camera. It features a single CMOS imaging element. It records primarily DV or HDV on miniDV tape cassette. It you want superb video of your child's softball game or dance recital or a family outing, the the Canon VIXIA HV40 is hard to beat. However, if you are considering the Canon XF300 or Panasonic AC160, then the VIXIA HV40 is not in the conversation.

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure about the Pana's codec, and it shoots on SDHC cards. I only have the XF100, but the image is the best I've ever seen for 1080 (close to EX-1). Them 50Mbps are hard to beat.

Advantage Pana: SDI out costs extra for the Canon.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Reread my post. The Panasonic shoots AVCHD.

8. cgbier macrumors 6502a

That's what I mean. I'm no fan of AVCHD. Sorry that it wasn't clear.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

We agree then. AVCHD has been a highly compressed consumer codec for storage-constrained camcorders. I have been just a little surprised that Panasonic and other manufacturers are now using it in their professional camcorders. This being the case, I only assume that AVCHD is up to the task. That said, I am relieved that Canon has chosen a different path--the less compressed MPEG2 Long GOP for its card-based video storage. Given those choice of the Panasonic AC160 and Canon XF300, I'll take the Canon without a second thought.