Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluezeno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
I can't decide between a 27" iMac or a 13" MacBook pro with a 27" apple display. I don't need power but I do need the real estate, which is why I'm considering a 13" MacBook pro. Basically, I currently have a windows laptop with a 24" display and want to switch to osx and upgrade my real estate size.

It would be nice to have the ability to take my main computer with me if the situation arises but I don't think my current laptop left my room in about a year.

What do you guys think? Oh and I don't have the cash to do both :(

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If you don't need mobility, go iMac. Plus if you need to, you could probably use your current machine on the go. It's also significantly cheaper to get an iMac rather than MBP and display, especially if you go with one of the i3 models, which is what I recommend if you don't need a ton of power.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Given the information in your post I'd say get the iMac. Since real estate is of importance to you and your current laptop hasn't your room in a year you don't need one of those. The "option" of taking your computer with you shouldn't take precedence over its primary function.

Tempto

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
Go for an iMac. As above poster said, don't opt in for portability unless you're a frequent traveler. Think of it this way: would you rather have more power and comfort any time you use your computer, or sacrifice those for the occasional outing? As I said, I wouldn't unless I was a very frequent traveler.

Good luck!

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
ilugger makes a cool case that I would recommend. I have a smaller imac so lugging it around isn't so bad. A 27 incher would be a workout.

I got looks walking into class with it, but it's awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.