Can't Decide Between 2012 13" MBP or 2012 15" Base MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregpod9, Aug 9, 2012.

  1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2007
    I have an early 2011 13" MBP i5 2.3GHz and I upgraded to 8GB of memory a few months ago. I might be selling the MBP next week. I ordered a Samsung 830 SSD 256GB that will be delivered to my house tomorrow.

    My uses are for the MBP are basic things such as internet, work, email, etc. I do not play computer games at all. I would like to if its worth it for me to upgrade to the 2012 13" MBP i7 or 2012 15" Base MBP?
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    Well you probably wouldnt notice ANY difference if you went to the new 13
  3. themumu macrumors 6502a


    Feb 13, 2011
    If you use your computer only for basic things, what makes you want to upgrade? Email downloading too slowly? ;)
  4. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

    Jan 25, 2009
    Don't waste your money. Your machine has another 4 years at least. Especially since you don't need any extra processing power seeing as you just browse the internet.
  5. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

    Jun 1, 2012
    Install the SSD in your 13in and you will be in love with it again. No need for the upgrade. I love my 15in but the only difference between it and the 13 is the dGPU ( which you don't need), more cores (don't need), larger screen, and usb 3.0. Honestly I don't think its worth the hassle or the extra money.
  6. ender land macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2010

    No, it is not worth it at all to upgrade now nor probably any time in the next 3-5 years unless your use drastically changes.
  7. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

    Jul 2, 2008
  8. gregpod9 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2007
    I was thinking of getting the 2012 base 13" MBP to replace by 2011 13" MBP instead of one of the two models that I mentioned. Thanks to all of you, I decided not to get a new MBP until the 13" MBP with the retina screen comes out. Here are the reasons why I decided against buying a new MBP:
    1. Minor upgrades such as USB 3.0
    2. Same screen resolution
    3. I have already a very good laptop, but it will get better when I have my Samsung 830 SSD 256GB installed.
    4. With the money saved, I will be purchasing an external 20" to 21.5" monitor, so I can enjoy using the higher resolution than my 2011 MBP.
  9. ixodes macrumors 601


    Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
    I never underestimate the value of the larger display.

    Especially if you are using it for work, or extended periods of time.

    The real world experience is far better with a 15" instead of a 13".

    But that's just my take on it :)
  10. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

    Jun 22, 2012
    is it worth selling a 15inch 2011 to put towards a retina? :)

Share This Page