cant decide between 4s and 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lzooml, Jun 29, 2013.

1. lzooml macrumors newbie

Bought a nexus 4 for a good price (It was the exhibition product and I got like 15% discount). However, not happy with the size at all. It's sort of too big to use with one hand. So, planning to return it and buy iphone 4s or 5 instead.

At that point I'm kinda on the fence about which one to get.

Screen size and new processor aside, seems like there not much difference between those two phones.

So, is there a reason you can show for me to go with 5 instead 4s ?

As for the one hand usage; is it easy to handle the 5 with one hand (For sure tried it in the store, but its like a short trial. Just want to hear real life experiences.)

Thank you.

2. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

I personally love the look and feel of the iPhone 5. Its light, slim, and has a screen that is just the right size; its not too wide so it does not feel awkward when holding it with one handle. Then again, the 4S is also a great phone. Either way you go, you're getting a great device. But if I have to throw a vote to one or the other, I would say go with the 5.

3. MrGrutty macrumors newbie

Reasons to go with 5? The bigger screen? It's also lighter, faster and improved on almost everything compared to the 4s. But just everything a little bit. In the end it all depends on your personal preference. There really isn't a bad choice here. They're both great phones!

4. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

Personally I like the 4S because it fits easily in the front pocket of all my jeans. I feel the size is fine for me. After all, I use my laptop for surfing the web and playing games. The 4S is how I communicate with friends and family.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a 3GS, but that's a backup phone. I went from an HTC Touch Pro to the iPhone 5. I have to say that although I like the 3GS I have I much prefer the size of the 5. I know you didn't ask about a 3GS, but I bring it up because it's apx. the same size as the 4 and 4S. So, in that way I can make a comparison.

I just feel that the 5 has a better feel and from everything I've read around here it's lighter than the 4 and 4S. It's certainly lighter than my 3GS.

As a practicality issue, the 5 has a metal back so if dropped I assume you'd be a lot less likely to break any glass than you would if you dropped the 4 or 4s.

6. iDominic macrumors member

iDominic

I went with the 4S. I just didn't have enough money. But it's really up to you to decide. Just make sure to make the decision carefully.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Depends on your hand's size but for me, 15% of the time (I calculate) I have to use both hands even on a 4. But I've adjusted by placing the most used icons at the one-hand reachable locations etc.

To me, 5 runs smoother, 4 more aesthetically pleasing and easier on the wallet. That's just me.

8. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Had an iPhone 4 - dropped from 3 feet and broke screen. Now have an iPhone 5 and have dropped it many time with out any problems.

If you tend to drop things, definitely get the iPhone 5.

9. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

No, iPhone 5 will break too. You should better not drop it. It is like tearing $600 bank notes

10. andrews04 macrumors newbie

andrews04

11. Chuckles8417 macrumors newbie

This question is so open ended that you could list a hundred reason for either phone. Seriously we're all different. Best decider? Go to your local carrier retail store and play around with both. Salesman comes up to you? Tell him to piss off and leave you alone so that you can decide for yourself. Who knows maybe you'll find an Android you like? It's all about your own experience.

12. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what I consider a big difference, LTE on the iPhone 5 and not the 4s

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just curious, apart from bigger numbers in the SpeedTest app, what does LTE specifically do for your usage of the phone that HSPA+ does not?

To the OP's question -- Go with the 5.

In 2-3 months a new 5S is likely to come out and the 4S will be 2 hardware revisions behind. May have an effect on iOS7 performance. http://cdn.theapplelounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/iOS-7-Comparison-Chart-definitivo-1.jpg

Also - the 5 introduced the new dock connector. I'd expect new accessories will be built to support that and stuff supporting the 30 pin dock connector will become increasingly scarce. Why start out with a legacy connector?