Can't decide between MBA 13" MBP 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sethlution, Jun 12, 2012.

1. sethlution macrumors regular

I'm looking for a new laptop,particularly one of the new macbooks. I will be going to college next year, majoring in Computer and Information engineering. I'm not a hardcore gamer. Right now I really can't decide between:

MBA 13": 1.8 i7 / 4GB ram/ 256GB flash drive
    MBP 13": 2.9 i7/ 8GB ram/ 750GB HDD

both have the same price of 1500$

P.S: Is it okay to not have quad core at this point? what about dedicated graphic card?

2. cp1275 macrumors newbie

I would buy the MacBook Air if I were in your case.
    The design of the MacBook Pro's is aging, wouldn't suprise me if all Pro MacBooks becommes like the current Retina Mac in 1-3 years.
    When it comes to caming the gaming the 13" MBP isn't much than the MBA due to the fact they both got the same graphics card.

The Current design of the MBA is still new and is going to stay for atleast 4 years more.

If you can live with carrying an external harddisk along with an MBA, instead of having it all via an optibay in the MBP. Then go for the MBA :)

3. biohead macrumors 6502

Does the RAM matter to you? The MBA is stuck with 4GB, whereas the MBP is always upgradable.

That's what tempted me to get the MBP rather than MBA... you may be different.

4. hudson1 macrumors 6502

I have a similar question on behalf of my son who will start college in August. Instead of the 256 GB upgrade on the 13" MBA, how adequate is the stock 128 GB drive? It wouldn't be enough for me but I have a giant iPhoto library that my son will never have plus our Mac mini serves multiple users.