Can't decide between previous generation U15 or a NEW U15...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmstrong, Jun 10, 2009.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to list the potential pro's and cons between the U15 first and current generations. I'd like to purchase one.

Pro's on the previous 15: Removable battery, RAM, and HD. Second card for graphics. PRICE!!!

Con: 6GB Cap. Older.

In theory? I could extend the life of this machine far longer by swapping in and out components. And the current savings make this an attractive buy. SL should run better with the second card.

Just released 15 pro's: 8GB. Better Battery life. Better screen?

Con: Battery is stuck. Base model lacks the second card. Too new for any reviews yet...

2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have thought about this myself having the first generation u15. I don't need the extended battery life as I don't take this one away from my desk too often. Being able to easily replace the battery still appeals to me. I have 4gb of memory now and can't see needing anymore for my applications. Screen on my is super and I have the two graphics options. The new entry level u15 does not. But the bottom line is you can get the first generation u15 as a refurb for 1349. If I wanted to sell mine I'd lose a ton of money and that enters in to any decision to move to the newer model. So, in my opinion I'd go first generation and save some cash

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

SL will run fine with 9400M. I doubt you'll notice any improvement with 9600GT.

If you're playing games it's another story though.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Exactly why I bought the refurb UMBP @ $1349. I wanted to stop carrying two laptops. My Sony and my MB are on eBay now. My new UMBP with the 9600 should handle the same games I had working on the Sony's ATI HD3650. If you want to play games the 9600 is the way to go.

Cheers,

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

your crazy to think that, of course the 9600gt will make a much bigger difference open CL