Can't decide between speakers!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by platypus63, Sep 11, 2007.

1. platypus63 macrumors regular

Hello everyone, I need some speakers for college to hook up to my MBP...

At home on my PM G5 i have a Yamaha 6.1 home theater set up, so I already own a good speaker set. I used that same set up at college for 4 years, but with the 5th year I've decided to leave the big beast at home and take my laptop to school.

So I was thinking I would get something like this (cheap and perhaps decent)
    logitech x-2300 for 34 bucks, seams like a steal!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121123

I haven't looked at computer speakers in a long while, and it seems that I can get a 5.1 system for 200 bucks with coupons, (250 no coupons). logitech z-5500
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0405790

I guess my question is if anyone has these speakers and what they think of them. I already do own home theater surround, but I could always put the yamaha set on the basement TV and put the computer surround on G5 after school but that is just me dreaming. So it all comes down to the quality of both speakers and my indecisiveness.

Sorry for the very unfocused and rambling post. I just don't know what I'm doing.

-Thanks

2. aliasfox macrumors member

The iPod Hi-Fi is a fairly amazing sounding one-box solution. Apple doesn't sell it anymore, but it can be had on ebay for $150-200, or in retail channels (while they last) for retail price $350.

My roommate from a few years ago owned a logitech z-2400 system - the woofer was boomy as all hell. The satellites were alright, with tonality and balance all being ok - not great. I can remember that treble wasn't a strong point with those, either. I owned a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set for a couple years - similarly boomy bass, but the satellites sounded muffled (grilles on) or shrill (grilles off). If you're looking for good, balanced speakers, I wouldn't go for either brand, if that's what they're aiming to sound like.

I currently use a Monsoon MM-1000 setup as my primary system - bar none, the most accurate and precise computer system I've ever heard. Too bad they're not sold anymore.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The Logitech's z5500's are excellent, at least I remember them being a lot better than I thought they'd be.

4. platypus63 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies...
    I'm not a big fan of the iPod HiFi, also its size/shape will not fit my desk (lots of narrow shelves on top). I've decided to back away from the 2.1 logitech system, because of the sub-par audio issues (although for 30 bucks its still not bad).

QuarterSwede: thanks for comment on z5500. They are now on the top of my list, and will probably get them, unless I end up getting m-audio studio monitors... sigh link
    Decisions decisions...

5. Pili macrumors regular

I would go for the m-audio monitors. I have the z5500 setup with my 360 and although it sounds great as home theater system, its not worth the hassle and the sound quality is not as good as my bose companion 3s for listening to music.