Can't decide between the hi-res glossy or anti glare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Totty1987, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'll be ordering a 15-inch MacBook pro online on Tuesday, but I honestly cannot decide between the hi res glossy or the anti glare. I wear glasses and I suffer from eye fatigue after prolonged computer sessions. I've tried going into both the central london as well stratford city stores to check out the mbps, but the standard glossy screen types are the only one's out on display.

I like the look of the hi-res glossy screen as it projects vivid colours(which is great for watching movies), but the glare could potentially prove an issue for me. The Anti glare screen blocks out glare but I've read on here that the colours on screen look bland and unnatural.

I spend most of my free time on my computer (sad I know) so i need to choose wisely. I don't program or do any multimedia editing, but this is something I might get into in the future, so I need my Mbp to be readily equipped.

I'd really appreciate any useful comments as I'll be making the purchase in the 2-3 days. Thanks in advance.

Totty1987

2. entropi macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got the AG on my MBP17 - I couldn't be happier, reflections are annoying!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would think if you have a propensity to suffer from eye fatigue, then a high res glossy screen may not be the best fit for you. Go with the anti glare.

4. Polymorphic macrumors member

I see this a bit differently (no pun intended). While I appreciate the lack of reflections on the anti-glare screen, I find that the glossy displays are sharper. As a developer who stares at text all day, the hi-res glossy display is actually easier on my eyes. I've had both though, and each has advantages.

5. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

The anti glare screens are basically naked and open to damage in comparison with the glossy glass mounted screen.

The anti glare MBPs are slightly lighter because of the missing glass.

6. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx for the comments guys, but I'm still undecided as to which screen to go for. Sorry if I seem quite annoying, but this Mbp is a desktop replacement that I'll be using for the next 3-4 years. It's absolutely imperative that I make the right choice.

Thanx guys

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Any eye doctor will tell you to buy anti-glare. Especially when it comes to Apple. Unlike glossy PC laptops, Apple uses glass. This adds two more surfaces to look through. It's perfect as a mirror, but terrible unless one has perfect vision and likes shiny toys.

The standard defense is it makes colors look better. That's a debate that could go on for years :)

I bought just one during the time when Apple was forcing them on us. They removed the beautiful anti-glare screens that were standard for years. In an attempt to "revolutionize" the industry, it back fired. Apple was overwhelmed with customer push back. Yet they never acknowledged it.

Finally the decline in sales hit, and silently they put it back. Sadly in typical fashion, what was once free became an extra charge option. Leave it to Apple to gouge the customer. Yet that's nothing new. I'm not complaining, their stock has made me wealthy beyond dreams.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All this proves is that the OP needs to see and decide for himself ;)

btw, I have a glossy cinema display and find the text extremely sharp. Part of the issue with what the OP is asking is the high res screen, so the glossy may be a tad sharper, the text will be smaller which will make his eyes work harder, i.e., eye fatigue.

Everyone is different and one size does not fit all, so the OP needs to see each model before making the decision.

9. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I had the glossy for about a three months and sold it and got the hi res anti-glare. The glossy just bothered me too much with it reflecting things.

The best thing to do is buy one of each and return the one you don't like.

10. happle macrumors 6502a

Ag. i just got mine and love it. the way i look at it is if I'm going to spend 2k + on a computer i might as well spend a bit more to not hand an annoying glare on my computrin.

11. Acejam2k macrumors regular

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not annoying at all, but I doubt you'll reach any kind of resolution in this thread. Here's why: There are literally hundreds of threads on this topic, with tens of thousands of opinions. It's always split roughly 50-50 or 60-40 or 40-60 between anti-glare and glossy, depending on which thread you read. Some threads go on for hundreds of posts and turn into arguments. None have a resolution, because it's purely a matter of personal preference.

The only way to make an informed decision is to spend some time looking at both screens, preferably side-by-side. None of the people in this forum have to spend the next few years living with your screen choice; you do. Decide what you prefer, which may not have anything to do with what others prefer.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hi Totty,

This is your 5th or 6th thread on which macbook you should buy. I can understand being unsure on what to buy, but come on, at some point you have to figure out what you want.

The problem of course is that no one here can tell you whether you will like the one or the other screen. The best thing you can do is finally order that damn MBP, and, if the AG screen doesn't suit your needs, make use of the 14 day return policy (it's extended for christmas here in the US, not sure about UK).

And it's pretty lame that none of the UK Apple stores have an AG on display. It's not like its some small mall store, this is freaking London!

What kind of screen (laptop or desktop) do you have right now?

Cheers

14. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm currently using a hp pavilion f1723 desktop, which I purchased back in 2004. It's slowed down considerably and I can barely run 4 tabs in firefox without it lagging. :(

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok, that would be an anti-glare screen. Do you like it?

16. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I had no clue it was anti glare. Are you sure it is?

17. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yep. Every LCD was what Apple now term anti-glare until about 2008 when laptop makers (e.g. Sony) starting using glossy coatings to give the colours more punch. They resulting colours are completely unrealistic but look fantastic on the sales floor at your local retailer. Apple went one up on that by using glass instead.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The biggest complaint on the Apple store site on any display is reflections. Some people think it makes colors look better. It does not contribute to accuracy in any way. In fact anti glare tends to be less biased if you're trying to determine the color of something you wish to purchase online, and even then displays vary too much. The thing is the overall perception is less biased by what the display is reflecting with a proper AR finish.

Yeah.... it's not really revolutionary. Older crts tended to have a glossier finish than newer ones. A glossy finish does cut costs, but I don't know how much the glass adds back.

19. tmagman macrumors 6502

anti-glare all the way. Won't buy a laptop without it now.

20. B.LI macrumors regular

Once you go macAnti-Glare you'll never go back

21. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Interesting point. I'll fire up the FD Trinitron later and check for reflections.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had both and I'm not steadfastly in either camp. Both have advantages and disadvantages. At the moment, I can't see myself going to antiglare again. Partly because I'm using an apple cinema display why work on a laptop with antiglare then when I hook it up, to an ACD use a glossy display.

23. pennbank macrumors member

The cosmetic difference between the Glossy and antiglare is also annoying
    with that silver trim.
    The apple stores do not enhance the glossy screens due to their harsh store lighting, but when at home you notice no difference.
    IMHO Glossy screens look nicer.

24. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

My old (crappy windows) laptop had an antiglare screen so I was a little apprehensive about going with a glossy screen with my MBP but figured if I didn't like it I could add an antiglare screen cover. But if I got another antiglare screen laptop there was literally nothing I could do to make it glossy. I've been totally happy with the glossy screen however. It just looks that much more brilliant.

25. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

OP,

So what did you end up buying?

Are you happy with it?